Chapter 7.

As the weeks rolled on and October faded into November, and then December, Travis only became more and more infatuated with his new blue haired friend.
They had gotten closer despite how short they've known each other for. Sal knew enough about Travis to know his mother was gone and how Travis was hurting, but didn't know the extent.
Travis knew that Sal's mom had died during the incident where he lost his face, and had seen small glimpses of it every once in a while. Not enough to put together a picture of what it might look like though.
Travis was usually invited out with Sal and the rest of the gang, to sit under bridges or have sleepovers.
He was beginning to realize the freak show friend group at his highschool wasn't all that bad, and were some of the most creative and expressive people he'd ever met.
He admired their confidence in their identities, and how they wouldn't take shit from anyone else telling them how to live their lives.
He envied their freedom to do so.

Kenneth was growing suspicious of where his son was running off to almost every day. 
"Whatever you're doing out there, you better be leaving room for Jesus. You know what happens if I find out you're not." His father said.

Travis would say that he was going for a walk, going to the library, delivering Church pamphlets, hanging out with "friends from youth group", anything to hide the fact he was hanging out with the exact people his father would tell to burn at the stake.

Travis was still pretty withdrawn from the group though, only really talking to Sal but still appreciating the other's companies.
He was still in denial of his feelings, always brushing them off as something else or ignoring them completely. This was the first time he'd experienced friendship in a while, so this must be what it feels like.

Larry's van outside honked, signaling for Travis they were there to pick him up finally.
Travis hurriedly put on his baggy washed out grey jeans, plain white t shirt, green sneakers, grey zip up, and gold cross necklace & ring. He ruffled his hair in the mirror checking for any last imperfections before grabbing his empty black backpack and walking out the door.
It was December 6th, 1993, just one more week until Sal's 18th birthday.
Larry's van was old, with tons of stickers of Sanity's Fall and other metal bands plastered on the back windows. On the inside the backseats were taken out, allowing more room for his instruments- or his group of friends wanting to skip school. There were pillows and blankets strewn across the back to make it more comfortable, as well as a collection of different colored glass bongs & novelty shot glasses. There were red and purple Christmas lights along the ceiling of the van, and small tapestries were draped over the windows.

Cozy, Travis thought.

Ash was sitting passenger to Larry, and maple was in the back drawing something in her sketchbook next to Todd & Neil. In the very back Sal sat cross cross resting his arms on a pillow in his lap that had a mandela pattern on it, anxiously fidgeting with a hair tye until he sees Travis sit down next to him. They exchange a light smile, although Travis can't tell due to Sal's prosthetic.

"Sorry in advance back there, it's gonna get bumpy." Larry said, starting to drive again.

"So where're we going?" Ash asks.

"I thought we were going to school?" Travis says and Sal laughs a little.

"Nah dude, it's the day before winter break & I know this sick spot up near that old barn. You brought snacks right Sal?" Larry says, you could hear his lisp through his raspy voice.

"Yup!" Sal pulls out a few party sized chip & pretzel bags from his backpack. He was wearing an oversized black Sanity's Fall T shirt on top of a white hoodie, and a pair of large black cargo shorts with his signature blue converse.