Chapter 3 - Reversal of Time

Author's Note: And everything ends. :') I know this is... a much more open ending than probably a lot of you were expecting, so I hope you're not disappointed that we decided to end it here. xD

Thank y'all so much for reading, voting, and/or commenting! :D

~ Amina Gila

Sith Reality

Most of the plan he has to improvise on, but it turns out the Sith Temple isn't that much different than the Jedi one. And the cell wasn't entirely built for restraining one with his Force abilities – though he did leave a lot of property damage behind, and alarms went off instantly.

Anakin immediately feels Obi-Wan reaching for him through the Force, and he tightens his shields, firmly ignoring him.

But now that he's out, he has no idea where to go. Is this version of himself married to Padme? Even if he was, she's not his, and he never wants to see a Padme who supports a... system like this. Besides, she's not his. And he wouldn't want to risk putting her in danger.

The only person he can possibly think of to go to now – especially at this hour of the night – is Palpatine.

Though the moment he finishes technically breaking into the Chancellor's apartment – because he literally has nowhere else to go, especially since he's certain there's already an alert out for him – Anakin immediately starts to question his decision. How does he know Palpatine isn't a Sith here?

What if he doesn't even know the Chancellor? Now he'll probably be arrested for trespassing or attempted burglary or suspected assassination, or treason, or –

The sudden noise coming from down the hall stops him cold, before he back out. "Anakin?" Palpatine asks, surprise and confusion in his voice as he stops in the doorway.

How did he even manage to wake him up?

"I –" How does he even explain this?! This isn't his Palpatine either. "I should not be here, but –"

Palpatine moves closer, flicking the light on. "What happened?"

It's hardly the first time Anakin's been in the Chancellor's quarters – oddly enough, they look quite similar here, though there's not quite as much red and the artwork is different – and he thinks that might be true for his counterpart, too.

It calms his pounding heart, just a little. Maybe this wasn't a mistake. Maybe. "I – the Council is... looking for me."

Hopefully this isn't a serious mistake.

Palpatine frowns. "Why? Anakin, what happened?"

He'll have to explain this somehow. "Something happened on – on the last mission. I do not know how it happened, but the Force... brought me to this... reality. I am not from here."

There's a very long pause of silence. "You reality-jumped," he repeats finally, sounding thoroughly mind-blown.

"I'm from a world where... there are Jedi instead of Sith. I'm a Jedi. The Council – they had me imprisoned. I... escaped. I –"

Palpatine is eyeing him with this look in his eyes; it's almost... he doesn't know exactly. "We knew each other in your reality, then?"

Anakin nods. "Yes. You were... my mentor." There's no other word that could describe it better.

"I was to... your Sith counterpart as well. He had questions about the Sith way. He came to the Order late, and they were never understanding of it."

It sounds so much like himself, it's almost terrifying. "I came to the Jedi late," he admits, "I never... fit there either." Sometimes, I think you were the only one who helped me make it through, he wants to add, but doesn't.