⌗ five

mark watched as donghyuck bowed and applause spread across the audience. the channel switched to a commercial break, and he turned the tv off. he didn't fail to notice the small pauses in donghyuck's speech, indicating the nerves he was trying so hard to cover. the newly dyed brown shade looked perfect on the younger though. mark thought it suited him well.

   it was always interesting to him how donghyuck would answer questions about their friendship. all of korea seemed to be obsessed with their dynamic, so at this point, mark answered the questions exactly how donghyuck did. how rehearsed they were but no one took notice of it never failed to surprise him. it was fortunate that he was getting paid to follow a script for a living. 

   mark could remember multiple occasions where he saw a shipper at his fan meetings. it wasn't a rare sight at all. he wondered what would change if everyone knew the truth. the idea was amusing considering everyone thought the two of them were 'best friend goals'. the irony that mark had spoken to donghyuck more in the past three days than the past six months made the whole ordeal comical even.

   there was a ping and mark checked his phone to see yet another message from johnny. with a sigh, the ravenette went back to reading the lengthy and descriptive paragraph from the older describing his disapproval from covering up donghyuck's scandal. he had recieved it mid day, but had managed to avoid reading it until now. mark didn't care about what it could cost him, it was all worth it to him anyway.

   the investigation on the case hadn't begun yet, or if it did, mark hadn't heard a word about it yet. he wondered if miyong would really not even notice that she had a chance to sue him entirely. the thought made him want to laugh, he loathed that woman.

   "red or white?" evelyn suddenly asked him, holding up two night gowns. "how about black?" mark suggested instead. "oh, you liked that one?" she asked, raising an eyebrow. "mhm," mark hummed before their lips met in a brief kiss, "my favorite." evelyn laughed and retreated to her room where he guessed she was looking for her black dress.

   a part of him felt guilty. he knew he didn't love evelyn the way she loved him. it was obvious in everything she did, and that scared him. mark wasn't good with commitments, with long term things. even his job as an actor would seem at risk sometimes when he would suddenly get in a mood to play guitar or continue song writing—a habit he'd picked up in middle school but never did much with. 

   if anyone asked what mark was to evelyn, he knew she'd say that he was her boyfriend. but to him, they didn't have a label, or he didn't want them to at least. he liked whatever they had at the moment, but he wasn't ready to be bound to it.

   the two of them met when mark was twenty. evelyn was a screenwriter and they'd worked together. at first glance, she was pretty. she had long legs, american beauty with korean fair skin, and a very contagious personality. after well over a hundred glances, mark realized that she was far more than just pretty. she was straight up beautiful in and out.

   by the third time they met, mark slept with her, and for two years, they never spoke again. not because anything had happened, but because it was meant to be no more than a one night stand before they each presumed with their busy lives. the next time they met, mark asked her to dinner as a polite gesture. he wished he'd noticed the signs that she was falling in love when one day he came to the rude awakening that he somehow knew everything about her. from the fact that she was mixed korean and american and grew up in california, to the fact that her favorite day of the week was wednesday. when had they spoken so much?

   after about five months of what he belatedly realized was dating, they broke apart as he had unfinished business in canada. still somehow, three months ago they met again and what was meant to only be one night of tangled bodies became this.