chapter three: lunch

When Maeve walked into the office the next morning, she immediately felt bad. She regretted how she talked to Javier in the bar last night. She would never have talked to him like that if she hadn't been drinking.

And when she got herself a coffee, she noticed that Steve appeared next to her, "Maeve? We need to talk," he said.

"What's wrong?" she asked back.

"Connie and I are very sorry about how we talked about Javi and you. It was stupid and childish to make a bet about you guys. I really hope you're not that mad at us" he said with a nervous smile and and scratched himself behind his ear.

Maeve chuckled lightly and put her cup down on the counter, "It's okay. I'm not mad. But I kinda feel guilty. I shouldn't have talked to Javier like that. You think he's mad at me?"

"No, don't worry about it. I'm sure he enjoyed your little argument. You know, he's all into that teasing and flirting stuff" Steve replied with a chuckle.

"Okay, well do you know what time he's coming today?" she asked back, while Steve also made himself a coffee.

"He's always a little late. But he definitely wants to talk to you as soon as he gets here" Steve replied with a grin.

And an hour later, Maeve was sitting at her desk filling out a form when someone stood in front of her desk. She looked up and put the pen down.

"Javier, good that you're finally here, I wanted to talk to you"

"Oh I knew you missed me" he replied with a grin and grabbed an empty chair from the table next to hers. He put the chair next to hers and sat down.

Maeve just rolled her eyes, "Javier you're so conceited and narcissistic"

"Yeah, and I know you like it" he replied and noticed Maeve hiding a grin.

But before Maeve could answer, a third person came along.

"Hi Javier, would you like to have lunch together today again?" asked Sierra, a secretary from the department next door. And Maeve immediately realized that the invitation wasn't about actual food.

"I'm sorry, not today. I already have plans for lunch" he replied.

Sierra glared at Maeve briefly, then left the room without saying anything else.

"So Maeve, are you going to have lunch with me today?" Javier asked with a charming grin when they were alone again.

"Oh, I thought you already had plans for lunch?" she asked back, also grinning.

"Yes I have, with you" he told her and Maeve sighed softly.

"You know actually, I wanted to apologize. But now I don't even know if I should do that" she said.

"Oh Maeve, come on, just one lunch. Please"

"Javier, thank you for the invitation. But you don't have to do this. I wanted to talk to you anyway. This bet was a stupid childish idea that we never would have had if we were sober"

He studied her face for a few seconds and then ran his fingers through his hair, "What? You give up on the first day of ten? Are you afraid of losing?"

Maeve let out a sarcastic laugh, "You really think you can have any woman, huh?"

"I know I can" he replied with a smug smile, "So, You and me, Lunch?"

"You know what? Fine. Otherwise you probably won't realize that you will lose this bet, Javier"

☾ ⋆*・゚:⋆*・゚

A few hours later, Javier and Maeve left the office. They got into his car and she immediately spotted a cassette tape, "Can we put some music on?"