chapter one: the bar

Two days later, on Wednesday, Maeve is already getting a bit more used to her new life in Bogota. She had just taken out her curlers, done her makeup and put on an office-acceptable outfit.

Her son Flynn was sitting on the sofa with a drawing book, when he asked Maeve the question she least wanted to hear.

"Does Dad miss us?"

She sighed and sat down next to her 5-year old son, „Of course he misses you. Please don't ever think something like that" she replied, although she didn't even know if that was the truth.

„Okay" he murmured and continued to draw.

Maeve kissed his head and then stood up. "Are you ready? You'll be picked up for kindergarten soon"

„Yes Mom" he said, packing his book and a toy car in his backpack.

Maeve's aunt, the ambassador, helped them to move to Colombia. Because when she realized how abusive her niece's ex-husband is, she helped her with the divorce and getting sole custody. She got her niece a job as a secretary at the DEA and Flynn a place at a safe kindergarten for diplomats' children.

A few minutes later Maeve and Flynn were standing in front of the apartment and she kissed her son on the head as he said goodbye. The kindergarten had a shuttle service, so Flynn would be picked up and brought home every day.

He got in the car and waved at her, and she smiled and waved back until the car drove away.

When she turned around to go back to the apartment, she saw two people standing at the entrance, who just left the apartment complex.

As she got closer, she realized it was Steve, with a blonde woman next to him.

Shit, had they seen Flynn? Maeve didn't want anyone other than her aunt to know she had a son.

He wasn't embarrassing her or anything, but it was for his safety.

"Oh Connie, that's Maeve. You know, our new secretary" Steve told the women next to him, when Maeve got to them.

"Ah the one Javi talked about?" she asked back with a grin.

"Shh! Don't say that" Steve whispered, because he knew that Maeve heard Connie. Javier talked about her?

"Hi, I'm Connie, nice to meet you" the blonde women said to Maeve and held her hand out.

"Hi Connie, nice to meet you too" she replied with a polite smile and shook her hand.

"So you live here now too?" Steve then asked.

"Yeah, on the 3rd floor, and you?"

"On the 2nd floor - Wait, the only apartment left on the third floor is with two bedrooms, right? How did you get that apartment?" Steve asked surprised. He happened to know which apartment was free because a former colleague of his had lived there. Some DEA employees lived in this apartment complex because it was a bit safer here.

"Oh, uhm, I think I was just lucky," she replied lying. But she knew it wasn't luck, because her aunt got her this apartment so Flynn and Maeve could each have their own rooms.

"Well, if Steve annoys me again, I know where I can sleep" Connie said with a small grin and Steve looked at her offended.

"Hey that's not nice, maybe I annoy you sometimes, but you snore, loudly" he replied grinning.

"That's not true" Connie told her husband while crossing her arms.

"Okay okay whatever, I'm heading to the office now, you wanna come with me?" he asked Maeve.