chapter four: the wallet

wow, it really took me like 10 months to update,
I'm so so sorry lol. I got a few messages saying you still want me to continue this fic, so I will :)

☾ ⋆*・゚:⋆*・゚

When Maeve entered the office the next day, she stared in confusion at the small note on her desk.

She turned the note over,

'Maeve, please meet me in the file room at 9. - Steve'

Confused, she put it in the pocket of her blazer. She found it odd that Steve would want to meet her in the file room, but she was sure it was either something damn important or he was just making fun.

She entered the room at 9am, closed the door behind her and was immediately pulled around the corner.

Maeve was about to scream, but then she saw a scared Steve, "No, don't scream, it's me Maeve" he whispered.

"Shit Steve, why would you scare me like that?" she asked, breathing heavily.

"Sorry Maeve, I needed to talk to you"

"What's wrong?"

"Well, uh, Javi and I have this thing going on - We almost have Escobar. And we got a tip that he will be in a restaurant today. Maeve, we really need your help. Our boss said he doesn't want a single agent in the restaurant. But we need someone to go in there" Steve explained in a whisper.

Maeve just looked at him with wide eyes, "You want me to go in the same restaurant as Escobar? Are you crazy?"

"Yes I know how that sounds, but I have no other choice. We didn't get permission, no agent is allowed to go in there. And we can't send Javi's informants, because Escobar knows them. I promise you nothing will happen okay? Connie and you would just go out to eat something. And Javi and I will wait in a car on the street"

"Steve, I don't know" she murmured. She never liked being in danger, but she found it even worse since she had a son. And she won't leave him a alone for the night.

"Nothing will happen, I swear. If anything should happen, Javi and I will help, okay? Do you really think I would send my wife in if I wasn't 100% sure nothing would happen?"

"Yeah, I guess you're right" she replied. After all, he wouldn't send his wife in, right?

"So you'll help us?"

She hesitated for a moment, but then nodded.

Hours later, Connie and Maeve were sitting in this fancy restaurant, completely dressed up. Maeve felt a little uncomfortable in her dress, she preferred pants most of the time, but she knew they both looked very good. So good, that it almost ended in a make-out session in the car between Steve and Connie. While Javier and Maeve sat awkwardly in the backseat.

She didn't really feel like being in that restaurant, but anything was better than the awkward atmosphere and tension between Javier and her in the car.

The two women were given tiny microphones and earplugs. And so they sat tensely in the restaurant, knowing that Javier and Steve could also hear every word.

"Can you see him?" Javi asked her through the earplug.

She looked at Connie to make it look like a normal conversation to outsiders and answered him, "No. No ones catching my eye either"

Connie started grinning, "Same. No ones as hot as my husband"

Javi snorted.

"What? No that's not what I meant, Connie" Maeve replied seriously, but couldn't hold back a small grin.