opening

I'm a pawn. A black pawn to be more specific. My current position on the chessboard i'm standig on is the square named h7. I'ts a light square, and I'm standing right infront of a rook, protekting it, ore blocking it? Also a black one ofcours. The game hasn't startet jet, but I'ts about to. From here I can see all the white figures, just standing there on the other side of the board, waiting to slaughter us all. I can also see some other black pawns besides me. But I can't look behind, though I know where everyone's position is, that's why I know that a rook is right behind me. I do not have a name by the way. I'm just the pawn on h7, and this is my story. White draws, and the game... begins.

Whites first move is the kings pawn opening. The pawn in front of whites king moves two squares forewords. It doesn't walk there ore something like that. You could say it, slitherd? It just moved. I can't really explain it. Well, now is our turn. Black plays pawn to e5. The two pawns now stand there, in the middle of the chess board, right in front of each other, staring at the other with unimaginable hate.

If you wander, who actually decides how we move, I don't know. Maybe it are the kings themselves, fighting for the other to fall, but I doubt that. All in all also they are just figures in someone's game. We all are. I really don't know who controls all of this, I just know it's a fight of life and death. I personally think fight ore war isn't  the best diskription  for chess at all. It's more of a slaughter. Yes, it can end quickly with only one ore two deaths, but it's way more likely that a game of chess seams endless and most of the figures die. So that's enough blabbering for now. White already decided it's next move, pawn to d3, protecting the other pawn and it's our turn again. For a few seconds absolutely nothing happens. And after that one moment I already knew, that it was my turn now.

The next move was pawn to h5, and I "glided" two squares foreword.  Now I was standing on a light square again, making space for the rook behind me. I was a chess figure, I'm just a piece of wood. Actually I shouldn't be able to feel anything at all! And still, I felt a mixture of excitement and fear swell up in me.