Ch. 25 - Xingqiu's Birthday

October 9th.

The day hung over everyone like a thick fog while they all awaited the second son to fall victim to his curse -

All but one, of course.

A certain exorcist had stayed over night at Xingqiu's (unbeknownst to the latter's family, of course), being certain that he'd be able to protect him from whatever would try to make him fall asleep.

Chongyun sat with his knees against his chest early in the morning while he waited for Xingqiu to wake up, anxiously tapping his foot against the comforter.

To calm himself down, he sung his little song again to himself, and thankfully, his singing must have been loud enough that it woke Xingqiu from his sleep.

"Mmm...are you singing that song again?" Xingqiu yawns, sitting up and staring at him with tired eyes.

"Yes. Happy Birthday Xingqiu. You seem very awake." Chongyun smiles to try and make light of the conversation.

"Do I now?" He hums, stretching his arms out and swinging his legs over the side of the end.

They spend the morning together and avoided the topic of the curse, hoping that maybe if they don't mention it, it won't come true.

Eventually, Xingqiu heads off on his own though, and Chongyun anxiously watches him go.

"Wh-where are you going?" Chongyun asks.

"Just to go look at something in the attic. I'll be back shortly." He reassured him before slipping into the hallway.

Chongyun knew better than to leave Xingqiu alone on this day, so he follows after him and up the ladder into the attic, watching Xingqiu step closer and closer to a spinning wheel.

"Hey, maybe we shouldn't be up here right now. I've got a bad feeling." Chongyun grabs his arm and pulls him away from it.

"Huh? No no, it's fine."

"It's not though! You can't go falling asleep Xingqiu, especially since there's-!"

He quickly bites his tongue, not meaning to delve into such a sensitive topic so soon.

Xingqiu doesn't even turn around - he doesn't even need to turn around - and his voice says it all. "There's no one to wake me up. That is what you were going to say, right?"

"I didn't mean it like that, I just mean that-"

"That I can't tell them that I like them? I know. I would if it were so easy-"

"What if it is that easy?" Chongyun turns his around, putting his hands on his shoulders. "Say it right now and this can all be over already!"

"What are you talking about? Saying it right now wouldn't do anythi-"

"I'm pretty sure we both know that it would change everything. Everything." Chongyun looks at him seriously.

"Why are you doing this? There's no point in saying anything now. It's too late anyways." Xingqiu turns his attention quickly back to the spinning wheel again.

"What do you mean it's too late now? You're starting to scare me, don't say stuff like tha-!"

"Ouch!"

Xingqiu pulls back from the spinning wheel and holds his index finger delicately, a droplet of blood dripping down the side.

"Are you okay? I knew we shouldn't have gone up here..." Chongyun mutters.

"Yeah, I'm fine, I just..." Xingqiu's eyelids start to fall and he takes one last look at Chongyun before he closes them completely.

"I'm sorry Chongyun."

He falls to the ground and Chongyun immediately goes after him, inspecting him and calling his name to try and wake him up.

"Xingqiu? Xingqiu! Come on, this isn't funny!" He says frantically, shaking him and praying he opens his eyes. "This is all just another one of your pranks, right? Haha, very funny, you got me, now wake up!"

His heartbeat increases rapidly and he notices that Xingqiu is showing no signs of faking it - usually he would have stopped the act or pulled a smile by now.

His calls for Xingqiu to wake up get louder as he gets more worried and out of control, quickly alerting someone from downstairs accidentally.

"Who's there? Xingqiu, are you alri-"

Xingqiu's mother looks up into the attic and sees Chongyun leaning over an unconscious Xingqiu, and her eyes widen.

"What are you doing? Get away from him!" She yells, crawling into the attic and pushing him out of the way.

"Wait! I can explain! I'm Xingqiu's friend and I-!"

"You horrible, horrible person! What am I supposed to do? He's never going to wake up now!" She cries, angrily glowering at him.

"Is everything okay?" One of the housekeepers calls from downstairs.

"No! There's an intruder in our house that needs to be removed immediately!"

Chongyun knows that it's time to book it, but he doesn't want to leave Xingqiu just as the worst happens.

He takes one last look before he heads to the trapdoor and drops to the hallway, running off down the stairs and just barely grabbing his shoes on the way out, leaving the door wide open.

He pants heavily as he runs through Liyue Harbor and slams the door to his house shut, falling down the other side of the locked door and holding back tears while he tries to calm himself down.

He pats his pocket and pulls out the tassel he'd given to Xingqiu, good as new and safe from the ocean. He ties it to his own and squeezes it tightly to stifle his cries in his empty house, wondering if he'll ever see Xingqiu again.

**********************************************
The chapter you've all been waiting for! What's going to happen next, I wonder...?

Written: June 16th, 2023

Finished/Published: August 2nd, 2023

(Word Count: 932)