Chapter 27: It's Like an Avalanche

"Hi, Mr

"Hi, Mr. Kim. Second Mr. Kim of the day," Jaewon joked.

Namjoon kept his head down, leg bouncing under the table. His dejected heart was torn in his chest but he had to keep a gauze on it for now. Keep it together. You can do this.

"Walk me through what happened."

Jungkook's voice rings in his head. He repeats his words like a script.

You're going to tell them—

"I didn't know it was a bot at first," Namjoon forced out.

He just seemed—

"A little odd. Off. He approached me and asked for help."

Jaewon nodded with a smug smile. Namjoon's giving him what he wanted, painting them in a dark light just as he knew them to be. "And then?"

And then—

"He was nice at first. Or indifferent. I offered to get him back on his feet." Namjoon rubbed his hands together to keep himself distracted, in the moment. He could feel that dread building up in his chest, the sinking feeling that travels to his lungs until he'd forget how to breathe. You're okay, Joon. Just breathe.

"A stranger?"

"Thought he was just some college kid. Then it threatened me not long ago one day. Malfunctioned I guess. I was—I was afraid and didn't know who to tell and turn to and—" Namjoon's anxious hyperventilating played well at fear. "I thought I'd get in trouble for having him when I didn't even know what it was...It acted so well."

"Walk me through what happened when we found the bot attacking you."

"Um..." Namjoon quickly ran through his thoughts. "I was thinking about turning it in. I saw the—you saw too." he gestured to the back of his head.

The back of Jungkook's head had been poorly closed after the removal of the orb.

"I was going to call someone. I guess it found out and...and attacked me."