2. Mika

September 21, in the morning, at Charles's house.
— Mika Charles's Point of View —

"You're not eating today," my mom pointed out, always keen on noticing my "bad" habits. I sighed deeply, still figuring out how to tell her without feeling like I'm betraying her.

She pushed a bowl of fruit toward me, unsure of what to say.

"The football season is about to start. I'm planning to ask the coach if I can try out," I calmly explained.

"You know how we feel about that. Let's not discuss it now. We can wait until your father comes home," my mom replied without even looking at me.

Why does she always wait for my father? In this day and age, you'd think they would have moved on. I believe they love each other out of respect for their shared history, but their love doesn't bring them happiness. They seem like a boring couple who only argue about politics. Trinity, on the other hand, makes me happy. I can't wait for the meals and free periods at public school.

"I tried to like baseball, Mom. I really did. I did it for Dad. But football, that's my passion. I'm happy when I'm in my gear, with my team, on the field, and when I touch the stripes on the football."

"Honey, that sport could lead to drugs and brain injuries. Give baseball a chance for one season, and we can revisit this next year."

My mom wasn't truly listening to me; she never does.

"Well, thanks for setting me up for greatness," I said, smiling at her with a touch of attitude. I pushed my chair back and walked out of the house to my car.

Driving around the neighborhood, I found myself at the local football field. This place used to bring me so much joy. It's been about three years since I last played here. I used to play with Ty and his group of friends; we go way back.

I remember when I was around 5 years old, playing with Ty, his sister Trinity, and the other kids in the neighborhood. I wish I had a neighbor or, better yet, a sister. It feels surreal to be back here.

I think I might be in love with Trinity. She was my first female friend, and I never had to pretend to be someone else around her. I naturally fit into her life after becoming buddies with her brother. But I know she doesn't feel the same way about me; she never has. I remember one time I tried to kiss her, and she smacked me in the face. She said she didn't want to have babies, but I don't think she understood how a kiss worked. So, I explained how my parents kiss all the time, and it doesn't lead to siblings. You would think she'd stay quiet after that, but she continued talking and had the nerve to tell me that my parents' kisses lack love because love makes babies. We were around 10 at the time, and that was the last conversation I had with her. Did I mention I told her I loved her? I wanted to brag and say I made out with someone other than my reflection, but it didn't happen. I loved her because she loved herself.

But that was before my parents transferred me to a private school. It was shortly after that almost-kiss that I suffered a serious head injury. I was told to quit football, and in doing so, I quit happiness. No one willingly chooses baseball.

-::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
*9:42 pm*

Breakfast with my wife went well, so I decided to text her, thanks to the headscarf.

"Hey, it's Mika. Just wanted "to let you know that I still love you, haha."

This would be the third time I'm expressing my feelings to her. She visited me in the hospital when her brother knocked me out cold. I thought it was my chance to shine, using the sympathy card due to my injury. But once again, she turned me down, this time mentioning that she didn't want her first kiss to be with someone in a neck brace.

I know this text won't magically make her want to be my baby momma, but now that I'm back and in her public school, I don't want to waste any more time. Besides, if things don't work out between us, I can explore her social circle, and maybe confuse her into needing me. Not those blasian or the girl in the headscarf. They're just collateral damage. I've only been at public school for a couple of days, and I'm not looking for anything serious right now. I just want something, and Trinity and I, we're meant to be. We have an undeniable history together.