OS #1: Bliss

As Umeed was getting ready for bed, she noticed it was 11:35 pm after a long tiring day all she wanted to do was curl up in her blanket and go to sleep, but she couldn't because in less than 30 minutes it would be one year to her and Farjaad's wedding.

One whole year Umeed thought. Life had changed for the best in the last year for Umeed Khan, from finishing her degree to establishing a successful chai cafe, and mending her strained relationship with her father all with the help of her wonderful husband, Farjaad.

Umeed couldn't be more grateful to her lord for giving Farjaad to her, her biggest blessing. Oh what would she do without him, she discreetly thought, she obviously couldn't let Farjaad know her precious thoughts for him. He would get an ego boost and Umeed could never allow that. As if on cue, Farjaad entered the room snapping Umeed out of her thoughts.

"Umeed kahan ghum ho?"

"Farjaad, aap aagaye. Bus kuch nahi aisi soch rahi thi ki yeh ek saal kitni jaldi guzar gaya na?"

"Achha to aap humari anniversary ke baare mai soch rahi hai. Waise kya gift laayi ho mere liye?"

"Gift? Mein kyun laaungi koi gift. Mein aap ko mil gayi, isse bara gift bhala kuch hoskata hai."

Farjaad lightly chuckled and said "Haan woh to hai, mujhe meri jeene ki umeed mil gayi, aur kya chahiye mujhe."

Umeed groaned and replied "Farjaad ek do aap din ba din bohot cheesy bante jaarahe hai, kuch to khayal rakhiye mere standards ka."

Achha yeh sab choriye, kya aap ko sach mai kuch nahi chahiye?"

"Kya hogaya hai? Abhi to tumne kaha ki tum hi mera gift ho. Phir ab yeh kyun pooch rahi ho?"

"Arey Farjaad aap bhi na, mein to bus mazaak karrahi thi. Aap apne aankh ban kariye pehle."

"Umeed kya baccho jaisi harkate karrahi ho. Dedo na jo bhi dena hai, aise hi."

"Farjaad aap aankh ban karrahe hai ki mein Sameer ko phone kar ke ghar chali jaaon?"

"Nahi, nahi koi zaroorat nahi hai ghar jaane ki, he quickly responded. Band karraha hoon aankhe.Yeh bhi na har baat pe ladne ke liye baith jaati hai" he whispered.

"Kuch kaha aapne?"

"Nahi, nahi mai kahan kuch kehta hoon, tum lekar aau tumhara anokha gift, zaroor koi heere moti lage honge iss mai jo yeh itna utaawli horahi hai" he said, obviously mumbling the last bit to himself because of the fear Umeed had instilled in him.

As Farjaad shut his eyes, Umeed quickly walked to their closet and took out a small gift bag and placed it in front of him.

"Farjaad ab aap dekh sakte hain."

"Pata nahi aisa kya hai iss mai ki itni suspense create kar rakhi hai."

Farjaad opened the bag and impatiently ripped off the packaging. For the first time, he was also eager to see what the gift was. What is it that is making his dear wife so excited and nervous all at once?

His thoughts were interrupted when his eyes landed on a tiny newborn onesie. Onesie? Why had Umeed gifted him baby clothes? Then his eyes fell upon a black metallic mug which read "Baba to be." Realization quickly dawned upon him and he looked at Umeed whose eyes were moist and a bright smile had adorned her pretty face.

"Umeed, are you? Are we going to h-have a baby...?"

Umeed slowly nods, holding his tear-stained cheeks and immediately throws her arms around him.

"Thank you so much Umeed! Tumhe nahi pata ki tumne mujhe kitni bari khushi di hai. Thank you so so much. I love you!"

Farjaad kissed her temple and lifted her off the ground, twirling her. His happiness knew no bounds. He just couldn't believe that very soon there would be someone calling him "baba."

"UMEED! UMEED! "Mai itna khush itna khush hoon ki mujhe samajh hi nahi aara ki mai kya karoon."

"Pehle to aap mujhe neeche utaariye, chakkar aarahe hai mujhe."

"Oh my god! I'm so sorry." He quickly placed her on the ground and helped her sit on the bed.

"Sorry mai kuch zyaada hi excited hogaya, aur mere dimaagh se hi nikal gaya. You're okay right."

"Haan Farjaad, aap pareshaan na ho, mai bilkul teekh hoon. Aur mai bhi bohot zyaada khush hoon. Aisa lag raha hai ki mai khushi se pagal hi na hi jaaoon."

Farjaad was in a feeling of ecstasy. He couldn't even wrap his head around the fact that he and Umeed were about to become parents. He wished there was a better way he could express his joy than to just sit there, crying and laughing altogether but, his emotions were so new and profound that he couldn't help but do just that. He was so caught up in his whirlwind of emotions that he completely forgot to ask the most important question.

"Umeed, when did you find out?"

"I was experiencing symptoms, so I went to the Doctor's last week and they confirmed it. Believe me, it was so hard hiding it from you, but I really wanted to surprise you with the best gift on our first anniversary."

"Well you did a very great job, I must say because I'm literally speechless. Mujhe ab bhi yakeen nahi horaha hai ki mein, mein baba banne waala hoon aur tum mama."

"Yakeen karlo Mr. Farjaad Khan kyunki bohot jald koi aur bhi aane waala hai aap ka dil ka dimaagh kharaab karne."

"Ya Allah ab do do log roz mera dil ka dimaagh kharaab karenge, kya banega mera?"

Umeed and Farjaad both stared at each other for some time and burst out laughing. Tranquillity and happiness were evident in their eyes. As silence enveloped them again, Umeed shifted in her seat and placed her head on Farjaad's shoulder.

"Thank you so much jaan, for coming into my life and making it so colourful."

"Nahi, thank you Farjaad, for making me the happiest girl in the world."

They both got lost in the comfort of each other, their eyes reflecting an unsaid promise that no matter what life throws at them they will always preserve and safeguard their happiness, and their little ones.