# 34

The grey shirt of his reached my lower thigh. I got out of the bathroom and into the bedroom. I got out of the bathroom and into the bedroom. I became alarmed as I began to get a whiff of something burning.

I quickly moved to the kitchen and widened my eyes at the sight before me.

"Aiden!"

His head snapped to me, face contorted in alarm... then confusion. I moved closer to the walls in search of a fire extinguisher as he attempted to use a damp rag to quell the fire.

" There's no fire extinguisher. If there was I wouldn't be resorting to this," he said cheekily. He then moved to the sink to dampen the rag.

" I'm trying to help you and you're being an ass?" I snapped moving backwards slightly, unknowingly in the direction of the flaming pan.

AIDEN'S P.O.V

She could really be annoying. I mean I could bet you she knew the possibility of me searching for a fire extinguisher was certain.

" I don't recall you trying to help, rather you walked in hear screaming my name. Not that it was of any help."

" Y-you a**hole I-"

I leapt across the room, latching onto her wrist and forcefully tugging her right into me just as the pan flamed high.

I sighed in relief that I got to her in time but that didn't lessen my anger or fear at the close call. Her fingers that had been gripping my sides reflexively tightened further in realization.

She could've gotten burnt--hurt--again! On my watch again!

I pushed her away slightly and grabbed her shoulders so I could look at her.

" You are so f**king careless! You could've gotten hurt again!"

" What do you care? What's one more?" she breathed shakily'

I thought she was referring to her abdominal wound, but as I saw the pain reflect in her eyes I knew it was more than just physical pain--Ian.

" You hurt me...when you walked out."

" I know I hurt you, I know and I have no excuse to justify it. I just want you to know that it wasn't you. I was just too angry and I didn't want you to see me like that."

I knew it was a shit explanation but still a explanation nevertheless for my shitty behavior.

" You could've just--." I shook my head already knowing where she was going. My rage wasn't pretty, I would've lashed out at her unknowingly.

" Sorry isn't going to cut it, I'm aware." I cautiously cupped her cheek, brushing my thumb over her supple and smooth skin. Her grey eyes were brewing, dark clouds hanging over them and it was a punch to my gut.

I wasn't even aware I was inching close to her till the fire alarm went off suddenly and so did the sprinklers.

She jerked back at the alarm and the sprinklers. My arms that bound about her back didn't let her get too far. She looked like she was coming out of a daze.

"What are you doing?" she gasped as I tightened my hands around her not thinking about letting go anytime soon.

I didn't mind the shower of water that begun to soak my hair and run down my forehead nor the piercing alarm that went off.

Bending my neck slightly, I watched with little amusement as her eyes widened, her breath speeding up. I wasn't that far behind her but I was just better at holding a poker face.

Soon we were about breathing the same air. Looking in her eyes for permission, my heart thudded painfully at my ribcage at the acceptance clearly in her eyes and subtle movement of her head forward.