Chapter 23

As if enveloped in a thick, cold fog, Nick was able to open his eyes again, though his mind couldn't keep up and it took him a few seconds to understand where he was at all. But the same moment he realized it, he immediately wanted to forget it again and not believe it. Damn, the organization has caught us! Bourbon...he had simply betrayed them. Anger gathered in Nick's fist, he was ready to slam it against the nearest wall, but his body wouldn't quite obey him. Panting, he stood up and looked around. He spotted his closet, the mirror, and also a suit on the chair. This was undoubtedly his room. He would prefer not to be here at all. For now the feeling of disgust and fear filled him only more. How could Rei do this! It was clear to Nick that perhaps Rei had had no other choice, but to simply betray her in an ice-cold manner caused the boy to flare up. Tense, he paced the room, his gaze settling on his reflection in the mirror. His eyes looked tired, the bags under his eyes were swollen, while his hair was sticking out in all directions. The scars on his face itched, he could feel the blood and sweat still clinging to his skin. Immediately he remembered the fight with the other three agents and the injury he had received. 

Carefully, he felt his hands along his body and lifted the black T-shirt. It had been reasonably stitched, but he winced at the sight of it. What the boy also noticed was his body. He had lost weight and you could almost make out his ribs. His muscles seemed more wiry and stood out more, especially the ones on his stomach. 

"No wonder...I haven't had a decent meal or sleep in weeks," Dubonnet shook his head. He lowered the T-shirt again. Right at that moment, he abruptly realized that Ash and Minoru were also locked in here. "Shit. I hope you guys are okay...I need to get out of here," Nick pressed himself against the door, but it wouldn't open. He had been locked in this room. A few seconds later, a click sounded, startling Nick to lows-then the door opened. The slender figure of Kir appeared in the doorway, her dark hair tied in a tight braid as usual. 

"You're awake. That's good," she said emotionlessly, stepping aside. "It's time. Come out," she commanded. Invectively, Nick wanted to run, but his body was not awake. Tense, he crossed his arms in front of his chest. He glared defiantly at Kir. His jaws ground when the agent made no move. 

"You're not making this easy on yourself, Dubonnet. Just follow my orders," she jutted her chin-as if that would intimidate Nick. "The fuck I will, Kir," the boy sat down demonstratively on the chair. More seconds passed, but they felt like hours. "Suit yourself, we'll do it the hard way," Kir hissed as she pulled a stun gun from her pocket. She plunged the device into his stomach, electrocuting him. Gasping, Nick fell to his knees.

"Don't do anything stupid and follow me," she growled. Angrily, he looked up. For a split second, Nick thought he saw pity in her eyes. "Get up. Come on," Kir wouldn't say it one more time. So, coughing, the boy stood up and stumbled out of the room. "Go on," she held the shocker to Dubonnet's neck. "Go on, to the elevator," Nick obeyed. Just as they turned the corners, he recognized two more figures being led away by Vodka and Chianti. 

It was Ash and Minoru. 

"ASH! MINORU!" yelled Nick, immediately trying to break free to run to the two, but Kir hit him on the back of the neck, bringing him back to his knees. "You dirty cow!"; Ash cursed loudly and tried to fight against Chainti's grip, but she also got electrocuted. "Keep your filthy hands off those two! Let them go! Damn you again!", Minoru was also furious. Vodka twisted his arm even further, causing Chardonnay to fall silent. "Can you three not put on a show?", annoyed, Chianti pushed Ash towards the elevator. "Can't you ever keep your mouth shut?", Ash grinned dangerously. 

"Shut up," the Sniper snorted loudly. "You're not going to get away with this! No matter what you want us to do, we won't do it! I'd rather die!", Nick growled in pain. "I'd rather be hugged by Azusa!", Ash gasped as Chianti poked her in the ribs. "Getting all sentimental on the old man all of a sudden, huh?", Vodka laughed derisively. "Go ahead and laugh...you, like Gin, will soon run out of laughs," Minoru shot back.