8: failed

"Yeonjun, you don't have to-"

"Please, Tae. Let me go."

But I only grew my grip tighter. "No...don't go."

I have seen you full of fury before, many of times since I've known you.

That day, however, you showed no signs of calming-- not in your eyes, not on your face. I tried bringing you close, maybe that would've helped, but it didn't, and I felt you slipping away from my grasp and going so far that all my fingers together felt so short. I followed after, maybe now you would've changed your mind. One step, two steps, three steps-- and I kept counting and counting. Maybe now you would've stopped. Maybe now.

"WHY ARE YOU SO SILENT?!"

Maybe now.

"BEOMGYU DIED! MANAN DIED! JOSÉ DIED! TRIXIE DIED! SYLVIE DIED! BHOOMI DIED! DO YOU KNOW THESE PEOPLE?! DO YOU?! NO YOU DO NOT!"

People were watching us. Maybe now he would've...

"WE ARE PEOPLE TOO! AND WE ARE BEING KILLED! YOUR SILENCE IS EQUALLY A CRIME!"

"Yeonjun, let's just go-"

"NO TAEHYUN! IF THEY WANT TO KILL SO BADLY, WHY ARE THEY DOING SO LIKE COWARDS?!"

And then he turned back.

"I LOVE A MAN TOO! JUST KILL ME TOO, IF THAT'S WHAT IT TAKES FOR YOU TO STOP, YOU ABSOLUTE MOTHERFUCKERS-"

"-Jun no-"

"-KILL ME AND GET IT OVER WITH! I AM TIRED! I AM SO SICK AND TIRED OF OUR OWN COUNTRY FAILING TO PROTECT US! I AM...I am..."

The country heard your cries, the country saw you fall to your knees and scream and they did nothing. They let you cry, standing at a distance as they saw you crumble into thousands. They did nothing. Nothing at all.

I held you, tried to give you my all, but my hands shook, and I was afraid again, my old fears coming back to life again.

"You failed us... You failed your own children, Estra."

And Estra never cared.