Chapter 5 - Movie Night

An awkward silence falls over the room. My mind starts to stress. The overthinking that always accompanies situations like this kicking into overdrive. Should I ask if she wants to watch another movie? Or maybe I should call it a night?

While I try to figure out how to be a human again. Vi grabs the TV remote and starts flicking through movies. As if being alone with me is a normal occurrence. Part of me wishes I could be as careful and comfortable as her, but the other part knows I'm too bad with new people to ever be like Vi.

As Vi browses the available movies, I get my phone out and check it. 10pm. It's later than it feels. Still, I don't feel like going to bed yet. My eyes travel across the lounge. Landing on the massive curtains. I wonder...

I get up from my spot on one of the arm chairs and leave the room. Silently I make my way up the stairs and into my room. There I look around for the familiar black camera bag I bring everywhere I go. The bag in question is still tucked away in my suitcase. Just where I left you. I think as I grab it from the suitcase. With my prized possession found, I sneak back downstairs.

Once I enter the lounge I look over at the TV. Vi seems to have settled on watching Heathers. A smile snakes its way up my mouth. Flashes of our encounter earlier this evening grace my brainbox. Maybe me and Vi have more in common than I first thought. But as much as I love Heathers, I have something a little more important to do. Something which I'm hoping will help my racing mind focus and calm down.

I walk over the plush carpet towards the royal looking curtains. Then, when I reach the curtains, I lift them up and sit down on the soft floor. The heavy curtain drapes over my body like a cape. I take note of how the fabric covering my body feels cosy. Like a heavy blanket.

The black bag currently holding my camara, gets placed on the floor next to me. I look outside and notice how usually clear the sky is. Perfect. I think to myself. Carefully I take my camera out of its home. Next, I remove the lens cover and turn it on. Then I work on adjusting the settings to pick up the moon in all its shining glory.

I focus my camera, making sure the moon is as perfectly centred as it can be. I take a deep breath in, steady my hands and...

"What are you doing?"

Click!

The heavy fabric of the curtain gets pulled off of me. Startling me in the process. My hands grasp the camera tight and my body jolts.

"Jesus christ!" I call out. I look up to see Vi looming over me once again. Her hair dangles down and her nose ring sparkles in the moonlight. Her stare is curious as she looks down at me.

"Sorry. Didn't mean to scare you." Her apology doesn't seem that sincern but I pass that up to it being late and her being tired.

"It's okay." I say, looking down at my camera. "I was trying to take a picture of the moon." The picture I accidently took looks just as bad as I had expected. A white blur is smeared across the screen. Surrounded by smaller, white blotches. I grimace at the photo.

"Can I see?" Vi asks from above me while moving her head to try and take a look at the photo. Her arms crossed, lent up against the glass above me. My anxiety starts to kick in ten fold. If she sees the photo I took, she'll think I'm an awful photographer!

"I haven't taken one yet." Lying? Really Y/N?

"You sure? I'm pretty sure I heard a click?" My hands begin to get sweaty and I can't look Vi in the face. You're an awful lair!

"It must have been the curtains or something outside?" I say, following it up with a nervous chuckle.

"I swear I heard-"