Chapter Seven

Lucas could hear voices approaching. Female voices, to be precise. He glanced over at Arthur, who hadn't seemed to notice yet. Or perhaps his hearing just wasn't as attuned like Lucas' was. Whoever it was, they were just around the corner of the building and they seemed to be chattering on in an excited manner about something as they came closer.

"Well, hurry up! We can't be late!" one said.

"I'm coming!" the other seemed to laugh softly.

He could hear their footsteps as he approached the steps that led down onto the street and he was just about to make his way down when two females came charging around the corner of the building and one ran right into him. She  was nearly knocked onto her backside, only he caught her by the arms just in time to steady her on her feet. And then let go as if he'd been bitten by a viper.

Susan gasped, and Allie took a startled step back, staring up at him with a look that could only be described as disgust on her face.

"Lucas Dillan!" Susan snapped. "When did you get back into town?"

"Been back for a few days," he said, trying not to notice the look on Allie's face. He'd just startled her was all. "This is my friend, Arthur McGinnis. Arthur, Miss Susan Lewis, and.......Miss Allie Warner."

Arthur had a huge grin on his face as he quickly greeted Allie before turning his attention to Susan. She giggled softly when he kissed her hand.

"Susan, I'll see you later," Allie said softly. She nodded politely to Arthur before stepping around Lucas and swiftly walking away down the boardwalk.

Lucas took a deep breath and let it out slowly as Arthur straightened up from kissing Susan's hand and peered around his friend to watch her practically run away. He turned to look at Susan who offered a small smile. "I'm sorry, we seem to have frightened your friend away,"

"It wasn't you. It was Lucas," Susan sighed. "They do not get along. It really was nice to meet you, Mr. McGinnis, but I promised I'd go with her and I'm afraid I need to catch up with her now."

"It was my pleasure, Miss Lewis," Arthur kissed her hand again and reluctantly released her. As she hurried to catch up with Allie, he turned to look at Lucas. "You don't get along? Is that why there isn't any attachment?"

"We just don't like each other," Lucas shrugged. He cast one last glance over his shoulder before skipping down the steps and crossing the muddy street. Arthur sprinted to catch up to him after staring after the beautiful redhead for longer than necessary.

"I am not sure how it could be possible to not like someone that beautiful," Arthur fell into step beside him. "Granted, she's not Miss Lewis, but she is a very attractive woman."

"Thanks for pointing that out. But I like blondes. Chubby ones."

Arthur laughed. Then grew serious. Lucas did not seem to be joking. "You like fat blondes?" he asked.

"Sure. What's wrong with that?"

"I'm not sure I can take you seriously. You didn't mention it the other day when I asked you what your ideal woman looked like."

"Look, Arthur, I didn't come back here to get involved with my arch nemesis,"

"She's your arch nemesis now?"

"We just aren't meant to be friends, alright?"

"Does this have anything to do with the fact that you were mean to her in school?" Arthur asked.

"Did Pa tell you about that?"

"Yes, he did!" Arthur said. "And I think you should apologize to her!"

"Really? Now? It's been too long to bother apologizing about it now,"