Chapter Thirteen

Arthur knocked on the door.

"Can I help you?"

"Hello, Mr. Lewis. My name is Arthur McGinnis and I've come to state my intentions for your daughter,"

Mr. Lewis was about to lift his coffee cup to his mouth, but paused halfway and stared at the strange fellow standing on his front porch. "I beg your pardon?"

"I've come to-,"

"No, I understand why you've come. Are you new in town?"

"Oh! Yes sir! I just moved here last month."

"And you want to court my daughter?"

"Yes sir!"

"Beverly, I'm going to need more coffee!" he called over his shoulder. "Well, come in. I guess we can talk in the study."

"Thank you sir!"

"That was a brand new pot! Oh, who's this?" Mrs. Lewis stepped into the entryway to find a young, dapper looking gentleman entering the house behind her husband.

"Mrs. Lewis, may I present Arthur McGinnis? He's here to state his intentions for Susan."

"Oh!" Mrs. Lewis said. "Well, it's nice to meet you, Mr. McGinnis. Dear, I'll put on another pot," she realized why her husband was suddenly asking for more coffee.

"Can I offer you some coffee, Mr. McGinnis?" Mr. Lewis asked as he led him to the study and closed the door.

"No. Thank you sir."

"Well, have a seat."

Arthur sat in the chair in front of the large desk as Mr. Lewis walked around behind it and slowly eased himself into the large, leather seat.

"Well, why don't you start by telling me a bit about yourself, since you've just recently moved to town."

"Yes, of course!" Arthur said. "I'm from Lexington, England and I traveled here to try my hand at ranching. When I first came over, I have to admit, I was a bit naive, and quickly came to realize that I was going to have to find work. So, I acquired employment with the railroad company and worked for them for the past five years. That's how I came to know Mr. Dillan, and when the railroad was finished, he invited me to come back to town with him, as his father was needing to hire some extra help at the farm. I've been staying with the Dillans and continuing to work, but I am in the process of purchasing a bit of land and will be looking for some good stock to start my cattle ranch."

"And how did you come to meet my daughter?"

"The day Mr. Dillan and I arrived in town, I believe she was on her way to see someone, and we....well, we ran into each other on the street. I was quite taken with her, the moment I saw her and I've decided that I would be very much interested in courting her, sir."

Mrs. Lewis stepped into the room with a pot of hot coffee and he quickly downed what was left in his cup before setting it on the corner of the desk so she could refill it. "Thank you dear," he said, waiting for her to close the door behind her to continue his conversation. "So, what can you offer my daughter?"

"At the moment, sir? Nothing. I don't have any land yet. I'll have to build a house. And I'll have to purchase breeding stock to start my ranch. But I do have every penny I made while working for the railroad, saved up at the bank and the moment I find the right piece of property, I'll be purchasing it. Other than that, all I can offer is my very loyal attention and the intent to be the man that provides for her....once I have everything in place."

"So, tell me. Why wouldn't you wait until you have all of those things already done before expressing interest?"

"Oh, I couldn't wait, sir!" Arthur said quite seriously. "I'm sure any number of suitors would have come to you and stated their intentions at any moment and I'd be too late if I waited!"

Mr. Lewis chuckled and took another drink of coffee. Thank goodness she'd made it strong. "So, do you think she might choose you, out of all the available suitors?"

"I hope so, sir!" he said. "If not, I will willingly step aside. But I felt my chances were greater if I spoke with you as soon as possible."

Mr. Lewis nodded. "Well, I will speak with my daughter and I'll let you know what she decides."

Arthur got to his feet with a nod and extended his hand. "Thank you sir. I'm much obliged to you. Thank you for speaking with me."

"You're welcome, Mr. McGinnis." he said. He waited until Arthur had reached the door and was turning the doorknob. "Oh, Mr. McGinnis?"

"Yes sir?" Arthur pulled the door open, but turned to look at him.

"If you're wanting excellent beef stock, I suggest speaking with Mr. Lambert. He owns the livery stables over on 3rd Street and he's got connections back east with some really great cattle ranchers. He'd be the one to talk to about your plans."

"Thank you sir. I'll do that."

"Good day, Mr. McGinnis,"

"Good day, Mr. Lewis."

Mr. Lewis finished his coffee and waited until he heard the front door close before standing up and walking to the study door. "Dear, will you ask Susan to come here when she comes in from doing her chores?"

"Yes, of course,"

It was nearly a half hour before Susan tapped on the door and peeked into his study. "Ma said you wanted to see me?"

"Come in and shut the door." he said.

"Is something wrong?"

"No. No, nothing's wrong." he said. "Have you met a young man by the name of Arthur McGinnis?"

She wasn't sure why he was asking and paused for a moment. "Yes, I have. He's a friend of Lucas Dillan's."

"He was just here."

"He was?"

"He  wanted to speak with me about you?"

"He did?"

He nodded. "Said he couldn't put it off for fear of all your other suitors getting a head start on him.....not in so many words."

"What other suitors?" she laughed softly.

"All the ones he imagined were lined up at your door."

"That's sweet. What did you tell him?"

"Well, I was wondering what you think of him." he shrugged. "I think he seems like a fine fellow. Has his priorities straight, so far as I can tell. Seems to have his future pretty well planned out."

"He seems nice. But I was concerned that he was friends with Lucas."

Mr. Lewis nodded. "That was a concern of mine too. Although, I guess we should just see how he behaves. Who knows how Lucas will be, now that he's been gone for a few years."

"So far, he's been surprisingly......nice."

"Well, I guess we'll just have to wait and see if that's true."

"Yeah, I guess so."

"Alright, well, if you'd like to see him, I don't have a problem with it. I might let him stew a bit, though. Goodness knows, it's going to take me forever to wade through all these other suitors you have lined up."

Susan laughed softly. "Be nice, Pa."

"I will," he chuckled, waving her off.