Closer

It stared last week. I just got off of work and while walking to my car, I saw it. Across the field. It was too far away to make out any details, but it was there. It was in the shape of a man, more or less. I just shrugged it off as some guy. Whatever. But I kept seeing it. A few days ago I saw it again, standing in the middle of the field. closer. I couldn't make out any features, but I knew it was starting at me. I saw it standing there as I drove away. I pulled up my street, and had to park at the end of the block. I saw it again, standing in front of my house. This time, I could make out features. It wore a trench coat, with the collar up. And it wore a sort of bowler hat, although the brim was longer, and covered most of the face. But not quite the features remain faint, all I remember was the look. A look of almost primal hunger. It scared me to even think that I would have to go right past it to get home. I steeled myself and began to walk. The thing never moved, but somehow got closer to me. I ran the other way and looked back, it was still the same distance away from me. Wherever I went. Whatever I did. It was always the same distance away. Like right now for example. I don't have long left. It's downstairs in the kitchen. It's close enough I can feel it, I can feel it's hunger. And it is getting closer.