Chapter 2

I see Ashley examining Jake, all the while biting my nails.
I knew Ashley, she was a legal girl. The truth is that none of Stephan's band was a bad person, he didn't want bad vibes or troublesome people. Perhaps that was why he was always surrounded by such friendly people. He was a magnet with them.
    "Stephan gave me and Susy quite a scare when he called us." she comments, as she examines Jake.
    "I'm so sorry," I answered, feeling bad for having worried them because of me "I just didn't know who to turn to."
    "Perhaps to a hospital?" Her tone is disappointed with me "At least, the wound is well sewn, what happened?"
   "Well, answering the first question, yes, he has been in the hospital," I lie, calmly, "only now his fever has risen. And the second question... He is a policeman, so in a raid he was shot."
    "How crappy, girl," she replies, finishing examining him. "Wait, I thought the cops weren't on you. You know, because of your father and what happened to him."
    "Yeah, I guess things change."
     She collects everything and looks at me with a frown.
    "Are you sure you didn't shoot him?"
    "Oh my God, Ashley!" I keep from shouting out loud, offended.
    "Just kidding, I believe you." she laughs softly "I have seen how you were looking at him while I examined him, I also worry with Susy when she wants to go alone to climb mountains. She always packs a first aid kit for her when she leaves without me."
    "It's just that if I lose him... I don't know what I would do..."
     Ashley hugs me lovingly, sighing.
I cry again, returning her hug. This is difficult for me. But I am clear that anything would happen to be with him.

I accompany her to the entrance and she looks at me calmly.
    "If the fever comes back up, give him a paracetamol, every eight hours," she explains, "though I'd rather you take him to the hospital, Macie, he'd be better cared for there."
    "No, it's fine," I smiled trying to remain calm, "I'm not going anywhere, so I'm going to take care of him for as long as he needs."
    "You still haven't told me what your Romeo's name is."
    "He doesn't like me telling his name to people he doesn't know," I continue to lie, "he's a bit reserved."
    "Alright-"
    "And... Could you not tell people that I have a man in my house?" I see how she frowns and lets out a small laugh. I bite the inside of my cheek, embarrassed that I've brought someone else into this. "And at the moment I don't want anyone to know."
    "My mouth is zipped shut." She gestures as if closing it, then smiles at me. "Good luck with him, Macie."
    "Thank you Ashley."
     We say goodbye and I lock the door.

I let out a long breath and walk back into the room with Jake.
I lie back next to him checking his temperature. It was still hot.
    "Let's hope you're okay in the morning..." I murmured, taking his hand again as before.
     This time I will be more careful that he not to get up again.

I wake up with the vibration of the phone on the bedside table.
Stephan.
    "Hello?" I answered quietly, not wanting to wake Jake.
    "How are you? Are you better?"
    "Yes, I'm better."
     I slowly get out of bed without disturbing him. I walk out of the room and lean against the wall.
    "What happened to you? You scared the hell out of me."
    "These days have been hard," I answered, being honest now, "you know why."
    "Oh, yeah, you went to Duskwood because the police station called you, right?"
    "Yes... And that has made me sick, I came back feeling very bad." time to lie now.
    "But it all cleared up, right?" He sounds worried. Stephan, even though he is my cousin, he is like a brother to me. So I understand his concern "you told the FBI that you had nothing to do with that guy, right?"
    "Sure, everything that has been said about me is a lie, so don't worry."
    "I'm glad to hear that," he sighs and lets out a laugh. "Because, come on, you? Into research stuff again? And with a hacker? That's like the plot of a movie."
    "Ridiculous, right?" I let out a laugh, lying to him hurts, we've always told each other everything. Except this. Like Lian. I've lied to everyone I've ever loved. But it was the right thing.
    "Well, I have to hang up," he sounds exasperated now, "Soph wants us to go to the restaurant soon to meet some fashion entrepreneurs. She is going to promote her brand."
    "Okay, bye Stephan and good luck with it."
    "Thanks, I'm going to need it. Goodbye cousin."
     I hang up and go back to the room.