TO LIVE

to live
( v ) an awfully big
adventure

BOOK ONE

-: riddle era :-

── IF I TOLD YOU I LOVED YOU, WHAT WOULD YOU SAY?

. . .

SUMMARY

Tom Marvolo Riddle had always had a darkness to him. Perhaps it was owed to his unknown parentage; his father, his grandfather or perhaps, ultimately, his mother, who had given birth to him on the steps of the orphanage and died hours later, leaving him penniless and alone in the world.

The orphanage was... good to him, he supposed. They fed him, gave him a roof over his head, made sure he and all the children had enough books and toys to placate them with, clothed them and sent them to the local primary school every morning and took them to the church every Sunday. But somehow, for Tom, that wasn't good enough.

He... was never satisfied with it all. Didn't care for school, nor did he see why so many wasted time in devoting themselves to someone they had no definitive proof of existing. He didn't care for the toys nor the books, nor the relationship built between the children with no one else and the sisters that took care of them. They were not their mothers nor their family, simply their guardians, not a replacement for what they had lost.

And so, Tom punished them for it because, oddly enough, he was better than them. More talented than them. Tom Riddle was... unique.

He had these powers, could do things nobody else could. Tom could make things move with his mind and make them float to wherever he pleased, could manipulate the stray cats and dogs that hung around the kitchen door after dinner, could speak to snakes, could stop the children who made fun of his silence, his erratic behaviours. He stole from them, kept their participation trophies and certificates and their favourite toys.

And then he stopped.

Because Tom Riddle wasn't unique, he was simply a wizard.

After Albus Dumbledore informed him that Tom's oddities were magical powers, he was forced to vow to no longer use them as he had been doing so that he could attend Hogwarts, and a year following, when summer came, he didn't return to the orphanage in London. Instead, he was transferred to another, for magical children in the Lake District.

The Bones family had run the only magic-only orphange in all of Britain for many years, often living within the old manor in which it was set. It was there, there in the Bones Manor Orphanage, where he met her.