After Party 4

Two days ago--

Shanice... Shanice was the woman of my dreams. Man did I love her, but it was time. Time was the rust on our relationship. We went from a Disney story to a story only made for the VH1 channel. Dead end.

Shanice was a bright skinned, caramel colored, woman from Atlanta, Georgia. She was a kind hearted, soft spoken, and genuine person. Her laugh was beautiful and dainty. The woman I fell in love with. The one I would do anything for. She was 'The one'...

...the one until time took her and turned her into it's minion.

Where's my Shanice? My Shanice turned from a perfect other half of me to a perfect stranger. From a delicate lily to a venus fly trap.

Smoke and mirrors--

As we drove back, Bryant noticed my silence. I was uneasy. He turned on the radio to fill in the void. Gas light was on, but the casual journey continued. A hint of wet fabric filled the car's interior each time the air conditioner woke up.

As we reached my place of residence, the cars engine was turned off by Bryant. Silence all around. I exited the car, stretched, and closed the car door. Bryant got out and gave a long exhale. We both met at the front of the vehicle.

Bryant said, "I'm so tired man. Do you mind if I just take 15 minutes to vibe out at your place? I've been driving all night. Plus, I have to pick up someone soon from a party." The look on his face was desperate. It almost looked sincere to me so I gave him the okay.

We both sat in my living room. My guard was up. The room was plain. Four walls that were accompanied by tired white paint. Signs of a newly move-in was everywhere. That is not the case. I have been occupying the house for two years. Two years too long. I was never supposed to be here this long. Never bothered to decorate nor give this dwelling the feeling of home. Neglect was the real tenant here.

The nervousness and confusion was flowing up and down my veins. My stomach hurts and my head feels as if there was a thunderstorm occupying every inch. I was a wreck. Why did I meet this man in the same night I met Charlene? How did I meet these people who are involved with each other?

As I came out of my trance from the overwhelming night, I noticed Bryant was asleep. He really looked tired. His phone gave a heavy and continuous vibration. One after another. When one series of vibrations stopped, another started right back up. Someone is in need of attention. It cannot be Charlene. Charlene's dead. DEAD!

I can see the backlight emitting from the phone on the coffee table. I leaned forward just to see who is in so much need. Right before I could even decipher the name, Bryant quickly jumped and woke up out of his sleep. My body, without my input, quickly pulled back to my resting position as if I have never moved.

The phone started vibrating again. Again and again. Bryant picked up and held the phone almost to his head. It was on speaker. The other hand was holding his head up with the elbow being supported by the armrest. He looked bothered and annoyed as if the person on the line was a bill collector.

"What's up babe? Hello.....? Hello? Hell-o?!", he said. Shuffling was accompanied by background music on the other end of the line. Then, there was a "Hello! Hello! I'm here. My phone is being special.", the woman on the line said. She then gave a laugh, but not just any laugh. It was something familiar. The sound and how delicate it was gave me déjà vu.

"Baby, are we still going out tonight?", she asked.

He replied, "Ah shit babe! I forgot! I have to work all night. Damn I feel so bad. Shan, I will make it up to you tomorrow. I promise!". There was a moment of silence, then a long sigh. "

"Ok. I guess I'm going to be alone tonight! Again....". She was clearly disappointed.

Why did Bryant call her Shan? Could not be my Shanice! The person on the phone speaks and laughs like Shanice. Is this why I haven't heard from her? Is this why we failed?!

As Bryant ended the phone call, I was uneasy. This was not sitting well with me. My mind is racing. I asked him, "Is that your girlfriend Charlene?"

He answered with, "No, that is one of my side pieces. She thinks she can get all of my time, but that's not the way it works!". I proceeded to ask him what was her name. The answer that came out of his mouth seemed to graze my ears, but never hit it's target. I asked again and he replied...