After Party 6

It was the sound of police sirens screaming and wailing coming from a distance approaching. Closer and closer. Three or four cars sped passed the house. Seemed like it was a race to their destination. The sun was already working it's shift as it was creeping inside the living room through the blinds. The periodic sound of the smoke detector chirping bounced off the walls and made an echo.

My eyes opened quickly as I remembered what transpired. I do not know how long I have been here laying lifeless. I tried sitting up. The back of my head was painted with pain. The throbbing and the electrifying sensation in my head was present. As I managed to sit up, I looked over to where Shan was, but I could not see her. I could not see anything at all. My eyes had not calibrated themselves yet. My vision was blurry. A few blinks and after rubbing my eyes, my eyesight was restored.

Again, I looked over to see Shanice. What I saw was the bathroom door on the other end the hallway and nothing in between. There were no traces of Shan anywhere. It was the view of a pool of stale burgundy blood that was left where Shanice used to be. She was on the move. Things have gone too far.

I felt like a newborn animal trying to get my bearings together to stand upright. The amount of effort was strenuous. The amount of blood stained on my black jeans was immense. Not even the black could hide the lies.

Now upright, I struggled to walk to the sliding glass doors that lead to the backyard. I pulled back a few of the blinds and looked through. What I saw was the shimmer coming from the pool water. The sun's rays danced all over the surface like glitter. The backyard was not big or small. It was enough space to fit three or four full-sized cars.

The blaring sound of sirens returned and kept getting louder and louder. The more closer they seemed, the more aggressive their engines became. It was at this time that I noticed the sounds of sirens was not dissipating or changing tones. They were here for me. This only means that Shanice is still well alive.

I opened the sliding doors and dashed outside. If the police were looking for me, they have not made it to the backyard yet and I am not planning on getting noticed. I ran and climbed the neighbor's fence that led me onto their property. I am now a trespasser and can fall victim to anyone who feels threatened by me. It is the situation I would have to just deal with. I made it through and passed the neighbor's backyard onto the front of the home.

I started walking on the sidewalk on an unfamiliar street. The street was vibrant with all the well-manicured lawns and gardens. Immaculate. Birds welcomed the quiet street with good morning chirps. I was the only being on this road that did not belong. Nothing but nerves were taking over my body. It felt as if I was enclosed in a tight fishing net.

I lifted my head as soon as the road came to a four-way intersection that were all guarded by stop signs. That is when a police car, almost passing the intersection, zoomed passed me. I can see the car slam on the brakes to a complete stop. I stood still as my eyes could not believe what they were witnessing. I was a product of a deer in the headlights. Reverse lights illuminated like glowing eyes in a dark jungle. The car reversed without hesitation and stopped by me. A second and third squad car followed suit as they hugged the corner of the intersection. I was finished. I was caught.

A series of commands and boisterous voices were directed towards me.

"Hands up!", one exclaimed and "Get the fuck on the ground! NOW!", another blared.

I did not know what to do. My body was frozen and my feet seemed to be merged with the sidewalk. I wanted to run, but matters would be worse. There were several guns of various calibers pointed towards my head from a distance. Before I knew it, I was being forcefully sent to the ground by an officer who snuck up behind me.

My face was at ground level. Multiple knees met my back and one even made itself at home on the side of my neck. I was in between a dreadful situation and a hard place. Handcuffs were placed around my wrists. At this moment, I can no longer hear what's going on around me. No sirens, no shouting, no nothing. Everything was fading away.

I started to have glimpses of everything that has transpired the last couple days. Pictures started transitioning while I was going in and out of consciousness. Pictures of Charlene, Shanice, and blood occupied my thoughts. Seems like I am always getting this type of luck of the draw.

"Do you have any weapons on you?", an officer asked while helping me get on my feet.

"No.", I responded.

Referring to the blood, the officer asked "What happened to your pants? Is that paint or what?". He proceeded to put his hand in my left pocket and pulled out my wallet and phone. Then, he searched my right pocket. What came out was the pocket knife. Bryant's pocket knife to be exact. The deputy then held it high enough for the other officers to see. He analyzed the blade and then looked me in the eyes.

"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be provided for you. Do you understand the rights I have just read to you?", he explained to me.

I was overwhelmed with fear. I could not even answer at first.

"...Do you understand?", he asked.

I acknowledged him with a nod.

"Is that a yes?!", he asked impatiently.

"Yes...", I returned.

The deputy then escorted me to the backseat of an unmarked black Dodge Charger. Before closing the door, he asked, "Are you familiar with a woman named Charlene Ripely?". I remained silent. He also questioned, "What about a Shanice Jackson?". I remained the same. Quiet. The officer observed my reaction and closed the door. He sat in the driver seat, radioed his discovery, and we departed slowly down the street to the police department.