04

Colette

The look we shared filled with bewilderment was cut short just before we added words, which was probably a good thing seeing as if it was too civil for us to be staring at each other in a non insulting manor. Even if it is just out of confusion. The double doors that were previously hiding our parents away, swing open, the women walking out first, the clicks of their heels, high hair, and shining smiles made me nervous. Our fathers followed with matching looks, pushed back shoulders and puffed chests not helping the anxious swirl in my stomach. All four of them watch us, looking as if they had just made a brand new discovery.

"Les voilà, our babies." Mère speaks turning to Harry's mother them sharing a look of awe at the sight of us, making my eyes widen. What is she doing? The way she is speaking? The look they had shared? It all seemed a bit odd.

I catch Harry's eyes once again, and he is still sharing the same look of concerned confusion. We simultaneously revert our eyes back to our parents as they just stand before our eyes proudly just watching as if they were breathing us in.

This is freaking me the hell out. And the silence fallen upon the room just makes the tension grow more thick. It almost makes me shrink down in my chair, but as Hélène had said, I am far too bold for this out of all to make me do such a thing. Freaked out or not.

"Is everything...okay?" I speak first, sitting up leaning in a bit.

My question apparently encourages a laugh among the four of them, they all share looks smiling almost genuinely to one another. This makes my brows furrow in confusion and pure uncomfortable nature.

What was funny?

All but Harry and I were caught up with whatever was going on, when I look at him again, he almost laughs, a chuckle almost, but I do not believe it was because he understood or knew what was happening in any way, I am sure it was a chuckle saying "what the fuck is happening?". Though I still do not see the humor in it in any type of way, confusion or understanding. Honestly it kind of freaks me out. A feeling brewing in my stomach that makes me shift in my seat.

"Oh ma chérie, everything is more than fine." Harry's mother says, I am assuming to attempt to calm the nerves and whip lash caused by this sudden attitude. But it honestly did not help much. But I do my best to rest my shoulders to give her the impression her words have given their intention. "Actually we just so happened to be talking about you."

Fuck. They were speaking about marriage. I knew it deep in my bones. My eyes widen and my heart jumps into my throat. Why? I dart my gaze to Mère who opens her mouth to speak.

"We were talking about the both of you actually." The words surfaced, making me choke on my heart that was lodged in my windpipe.

Please do not say what I think you are going to say Mother. I will do anything. I can not move, my wide eyes frozen along with the rest of my body which has become tense.

Lord please. I will pray right here, right now. Just please.

My mother drops her head, a devient smile on her lips, staring me in my eyes, down to what feels like my soul; like she knows exactly how I am feeling, like she can hear my heartbeat in my ears just like I do. And she enjoys it. She is proud of herself.

No please.

"You two..." she starts still staring back at me, refusing to blink. She is trying to intimidate me. She wants me to hate this. The sound of my heart echoing through my whole body gets louder. Quicker. I would absolutely believe you if you had told me everyone in the room could hear it as well. My arms find the strength to move but only to grip the arms of the chair. In anxiety and in anger.  "...are to be married."