14.

Angel had a tough time keeping his emotions under control as he rode to the station surpassing the speed limit on the road. There was nothing a siren wailing couldn't do.

The detective was angry about the report, something was not right. But they would soon transport her to the prison since they had obtained the evidence needed to run her to the floor and give the public a sense of pride in the system.

When he parked his car, he flung open the door and closed it without looking back as he stormed into the station, straight for James who stood at a corner, talking to one of the cops on his lunch break.

"Angel, how is it go—"

"Give me the fucking DNA report, I need to see it." he used his superior voice for the first time in a long time to let her know he was her senior.

The male cop with her excused himself while she moved to their desks in the station and picked up a file and handed it to him.

"Everything is there." she said, and crossed her arms, pissed but acted coolheaded for once in her career.

He wasted no time in flipping through the pages, going back and forth until he sighed and slammed the papers on her desk, made his partner to flinch.

"What got into you, Angel? Look at yourself."

He didn't spare her a word of warning but looked up at her with his hands on the top of the table to give him support from falling to the ground.

"Have they taken her yet?" he asked her, knowing they could transport her without his presence.

"No, preparation is still being made. We have an hour or thirty minutes at most." she filled him in.

He huffed and stood on his feet. "That's enough." he said, before he moved in the direction, where Mrs. Romero would be since they had taken her in the interview room to show her the evidence whether she would plead guilty or innocent in the court of law.

Angel walked past the cops who greeted him or asked him questions concerning previous cases that happened years back. He ignored them until he stood in front of the door that bore all the answers to his questions.

He took a breather and entered the room but lost it as he saw her, looking so pale than she did few hours ago. "How are you doing on your trip to prison? I heard the female prisons are terrible. I know they are."

"I'm now known as a psychopath, so I know I'm heading to one of those high level security prison." she said, with a ghost of a smile.

He walked up to her and slammed his hands on the metal table twice before he raked his face back and faced her. "Why are you doing this?"

"Do I need to?" she asked back.

"Josephine Matte-Mancini, what are you so afraid of? We can offer you witness protection." he said, almost pleading on her own behalf.

"The witness program is for victims the last thing I checked. I killed a man." she said, looking deep into his eyes with her emotions locked away.

He searched her eyes as silence wrapped them like a blanket and minutes passed them, and she pulled her eyes away and his. He watched her eyes stay on her intertwined hands, and his heart felt cold like everytime he saw the wrong things happened to good people.

"The results showed the weapon had your fingerprints."

"Thank God, I'm utterly exhausted, tired of playing cat-and-mice in this place which could used some cleaning. And I would like a change of clothes. Settling for bright orange doesn't seem to cater to my taste in this season. But killers can't be choosers."