Can I ask you something?

The bustling atmosphere of the bar enveloped Maria, Hope, Natasha, and Sharon as they settled into their seats.

After a couple of minutes of small talk and maybe a couple of drinks too much, Sharon decided to stir the pot.

With a sly grin, she turned her attention to Hope. "Hope, you'll never believe the history between Maria and Natasha here. They used to be quite the item," she whispered to Hope.

Hope's eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "What?"

She looked at Maria and Natasha who were deeply engaged in a conversation.

"Yeah, kissing and everything," Sharon continued, it was quite noticeable that she was drunk, "Too bad it never worked out. They would've been so perfect."

Hope tried to hide her surprise, "Well things don't always work out the way we want."

-

A week had passed since the night at the bar, and Hope and Maria found themselves alone in the SHIELD office. The tension that once filled the air had eased.

Sitting side by side at a large desk, stacks of files spread out before them, they dived into the exhaustive task of combing through newfound information about the mysterious hammer.

Hope's eyes flicked across the pages, her brow furrowed in concentration. The weight of the mission bore heavily on her shoulders, and she couldn't help but feel a sense of responsibility to prove herself to Maria.

As she looked up, ready to share her findings with Maria, Maria's gaze was fixed on the wall, her eyes dreamy and a soft smile playing at the corners of her lips. 

When Hope called her name Maria's eyes quickly darted towards her as if caught in the act of something intimate. Was she thinking about Natasha? 

Hope, her thoughts swirling, finally mustered the courage to mention the subject that had been on her mind since Sharon's revelation. "Maria, can I ask you something?"

Maria glanced at Hope, her eyes softening. "Of course. What's on your mind?"

Hope hesitated for a moment, searching for the right words. "Sharon mentioned something back at the bar last week... about you and Natasha. Is it true? Were you two... together?"

Maria's jaw tensed slightly before she answered:" Yes, it's true. But that was a long time ago. We've since evolved into close friends."

Hope nodded, her gaze locked with Maria's. "I see. It's just... surprising, I guess. I didn't know you were interested in women."

Maria offered a gentle smile, although her voice was cold. "Love doesn't always follow a predictable path, Hope."

Hope could feel her ears blush. "I suppose you're right. Love is love, after all."

She decided to drop the topic, noticing how defensive Maria reacted.