Second Impression

"You're always actin' so composed and cool Never got too many words for me (Too many words)Then turn your head to make sure I see (Just to make sure) Baby, ain't nothin' wrong with the love That you and I dream of, so sweet Your actions say more than your lips can speak..."

Amerie sang out into the radio. We had just picked Diamonte from her grandma's and decided to let the song ride out and enjoy the moment. Diamonte spoke up:

"Zoé you gon try to find you a man tonight?"

"And don't be actin all stuck up!" Delita chimed in Here it go. "You gotta live for yourself and get out of that house, like to that New poetry joint. OOh! Why don't you go up there say one your poems? You know you good Zoe."

"Yea my girl got bars" Diamonte chimed back in hyping her up. "Come on now Zoé don't hold out."

"I do not hold out, I just don't like when people criticize my work. "

"Girl criticism is criticism. There's good criticism and there's bad criticism but you just gotta know how to take it you? You good cause like Diamonte said you got skills with the pen. Your brother would be so proud of you if you were to get them published. I think you should do it. Get the exposure. I can't believe you almost gave up writing."

I sat in the car thinking to about what my girls said as the music played and enjoyed the drive. We in front Poe's Poetry Bar and parked in the parking lot on the right hand side and made our way in. It was opening night and crowded. Debating on if I wanted to bring my journal in or not, I decided I would leave the journal and come back if I gathered enough courage to get up on stage. Nodding my head slowly, my body began sway at the sound of my girl Elle Varner.

"I feel like the girl at the bar who's been there too long; Can't stand up, I should be gone but I just can't get enough, yeah..."

"So can I get a refill! " Diamonte had came up behind me throwing her hands up and swaying to the music. Continuing to sway past me Diamonte managed to yell "I'll be right back" before fading into the crowd. I decided I wanted to dance for a while and enjoy my song before making my way to the bar. I guess Delita was making her way to the bar for drinks because I grabbed her arm and pull her back, stopping her in her tracks.

"That's him, who I told you about found my journal earlier." LIta looked at me like she didn't know what the hell I was talking about. "Girl who??" I motioned my head in his direction. "That guy at the bar."

"Girl he's fly!!! Nice build, freshly shaven, clean dressed impressive. Sista you was a few to let him get away from you." I sucked my teeth and kept my attention to him as the song faded to Lucy Pearl.

I wanna dance tonight (Dance tonight), I wanna toast tonight (Toast tonight), I'll spend my money tonight (Spend your money), I'll spend my money tonight (Spend your money, yeah)

"They playing my song! Yea girl he is foine! you go talk to him" Diamonte yelled out making her way back to the dance floor with her drink. I didn't think she had heard us over the people and the music. "Girl what is you talking about? "Monte I don't have time for no man. All of these guys are beneath me. Besides but I'm too busy to focus on boys I just wanna focus on my money and that's it. Besides I can't be seen with no thug."

"You acting like ya shit don't stink! Loosen up is all I'm gonna say."

                         Just as Diamonte was finishing her statement our topic of the conversation begin to make his way into our direction. "Evening ladies, Miss Zolá."  Flashing his pearly whites, I replied back, not not giving him the attention he seeked. "Surprisingly you know my name? So now the the matter of the fact is that I don't know yours."

                                                     "It's Jared. I was fascinated by your beauty and your poetry but I didn't really have the time to talk to you then. I'm an artist and I would love for you to consider modelinng on canvass for me." My cheeks flushed but I didn't want to give in.  Well I'm sorry Jared, but I'm not interested.

                                                                  Diamonte pulled me to the side along with LIta tagging along. "Chill out girl, before I take him. You need to loosen up." Then Delita chimed in. Yea because the energy you sending off is funky! Give him a chance." I took a deep breath, deciding to take my girls advice and walked back over t where Jared was standing.

"I know that was rude of me and I'm sorry. But it's just that a lot has changed for me recently and I'm just not up for any new changes. However I am willing to take your number." Jared's smile had lit up even brighter.  " Here's my card. The top one is my email and then you can reach me at my studio and here on my cell."  The music suddenly began slow then ulitmately faded as the speaker came out on the stage and introduce the performer.

"Alright, alright hope y'all enjoying yourselves and thank you all for coming from Houston Texas we have a young stepper by the name Monét and she got a lot she wanna get off her chest. Ladies and gents, please give up for Miss Monét!"

"So this see this man walks by
Pulls me to the side; said he wanna talk.
So I'm listening to this man and he starts.
No hey or hello? You not gon ask me my name ? Or even how you doing?
My mind began to wonder: Is he talking to get know me?
Or is he tryna get my body?  I really didn't at I really didn't know, so I immediately ignored the subject and changed the topic
How well are you tryna get to know me and are you getting to know me for me?
What are your expectations? What about marriage?
He stood there dumbfounded, I knew from the look on his face he wanted nothing serious.
I fixed my lips and stated; I'm a woman with needs to be met and expectations. I'm not a quickie or one night stand as I hold more value than the average. I refuse to be toyed with and coddled for one's own pleasure when it is my heart that needs pleasuring.
Sorry, but not sorry.
                                                 -Monét

The crowd erupted into cheers as Monét left the stage and Delita fixed her mouth to speak. "Girl you would've iced her, why didn't you get up there? Keep letting your opportunities pass you by Zoé. I told you got this". Diamonte then started bragging about me to Jared. "On a real level though, Zolá be killing it with the pen. We just worry about her you know? Lately she's really uptight since her brother died-"

Clearing my throat to change the change the subject, Jared spoke up. "So Miss Zolá, you have my card, please don't hesitate call me. Enjoy the rest of your evening. Ladies" and left. "Girl if you don't want him let me now cause he is all that! Girl you better enjoy him.. Before somebody will."