Chapter One

NECTAR

Sometimes, Nectar wished that she could just fly away from the Hives. Maybe even away from Pantala.

Of course, her mother would make her turn around and fly back, and then she'd be yelled at for a million hours.

So instead, she just imagined that she was flying away. But that was hard, especially because she'd never seen what it was like outside of the Hive, and also because she had to know what everyone else was imagining, too.

Maybe she had her abilities because she just had more Clearsight inside of her than most HiveWings. But Clearsight could see the future, not read minds, Nectar reminded herself.

Of course, she had the ability that she'd never told anyone about as well, which could possibly make her as respected as Clearsight had been someday.  

As Nectar made her way down the hallway to her bedroom, she heard the thoughts of the dragons around her, like Locust who was thinking, Stand up tall, Locust! That's THE QUEEN'S DAUGHTER OVER THERE! Wings straight! Head up! ARGHHHH, WHY WON'T MY TAIL MOVE MAJESTICALLY? or Mosquito who was thinking, I know you can read my thoughts, Nectar. I know you just don't want to be rude by commenting on them. But that just makes you seem like a SilkWing!

Nectar snorted at him, and Locust's mind went Oh no, is she snorting at me? What did I do? for a second.

Nectar continued walking down the hallway. She probably could have walked to her room with her eyes closed, but she didn't, because that would just make everyone else's thoughts seem more vivid.

I wish I could read what somebody is thinking, she thought, looking at a poster of her mother on the wall. And of course it's the one dragon who can block my mind reading.

Ever since her mother had told her that she ruled centuries ago as well, Nectar had always asked her questions about what it had been like. Had there been any different tribes? Had she had any other daughters?

But her mother had never answered her. She'd always say "Why don't you go read a book about it?" or "Can't you read someone's mind to find out more?"

Nectar knew that Queen Wasp was the only living dragon who had been alive at that time. But that was pretty much all she knew about that time.

Once Nectar got into her room, she quickly flew up to the second platform. Her room had a bottom floor for studying, and a top floor for sleeping. On the top floor, there was a window. She looked through it and sighed. Of course it had to be dark outside. At least there are stars, she reminded herself as she looked at her wings. But I've seen those before.

She sighed as she curled up in her bed and closed her eyes. 

                                                                      * * *

Nectar woke with a start. 

She could've sworn she'd heard someone think There she is—the target. Princess of the HiveWings. Half of her wanted to go back to sleep, and the other half wanted to find who it was. She decided to find who it was.

Her first thought was It must be a LeafWing. LeafWings hated HiveWings, and HiveWings hated LeafWings. Whatever, she thought. If it is, I have an advantage. 

She closed her eyes and tried to find the thoughts again. She sighed as she opened them and looked around her room. There! She saw a flutter of grass-green wings. She slowly crept towards the entrance to the bottom platform. 

Oh, moons. Did I wake her up? thought the probably LeafWing. 

Nectar wanted to say "Yes," but she didn't want to risk giving away her powers to the LeafWings. Instead, she said, "You are NOT a stealthy assassin, LeafWing!" and she leapt off of the top platform and landed on the bottom floor.

The LeafWing growled. "Who said I was an assassin?" he snickered as he lunged towards Nectar.

Nectar dodged, barely. She poised her tail and hissed. "You do know who my mother is, right?" she asked.

"Of course I do," the LeafWing hissed. "But she's asleep. She won't be able to control you," he added. 

Nectar hissed and lunged at the LeafWing, prepared to stab her tail into his arm. But, of course, the LeafWing was young and agile and strong and handsome and—WHAT AM I THINKING? HE IS MY ENEMY. 

The LeafWing dodged easily. 

Well, Nectar thought bitterly, this might be harder than I thought.