tasw vol. #5

𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝙰𝚖𝚊𝚣𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚂𝚙𝚒𝚍𝚎𝚛-𝚆𝚘𝚖𝚊𝚗 𝚅𝚘𝚕𝚞𝚖𝚎 #𝟻

Pearl settles into a comfortable chair in the corner of the room, facing the holographic projection of Lyla. The AI's virtual form appears as a friendly figure with adorable sunglasses and a cute pixie cut. They've spent countless hours together, seeing as Pearl hasn't made much of an effort to leave her room and meet other Spider-People.

"Lyla, you won't believe what happened today," Pearl says, her voice filled with excitement.

" OMG, spill it, girl."

Pearl launches into a lively account of their recent mission, embellishing the details with a touch of humor. Lyla listens intently, her virtual eyes focused on Pearl, reflecting genuine interest and amusement. They laugh together, their voices blending harmoniously in the room.

Miguel, who has been working nearby, can't help but feel a pang of jealousy as he observes Pearl's bond with Lyla. He knows it's irrational. Lyla is an AI, after all, a creation of his own design. But seeing Pearl's genuine joy and the way she confides in Lyla stirs something within him. He wants to be the one she turns to, the one who makes her laugh and feel understood.

Frustrated with his own emotions, Miguel tries to focus on his work, but the sound of Pearl's laughter continues to echo in his ears. He steals glances in their direction, unable to ignore the connection forming between them. A twinge of resentment gnaws at him, and he wonders why it bothers him so much.

Miguel, unable to bear the growing divide between them, decides to interrupt their conversation. He approaches them, his expression guarded but determined.

"Hey," He says, his voice laced with an undercurrent of annoyance, "We have a new mission. Universe 1365."

Pearl's eyes light up with excitement at the prospect of another adventure. She turns to Lyla, a smile playing on her lips.

"I'll be back soon," She says, her voice filled with anticipation.

Lyla nods understandingly, her holographic form projecting an air of empathy. As Pearl walks away with Miguel, Lyla's gaze follows them, a subtle flicker of concern in her eyes.

Miguel leads Pearl to the mission briefing room, his steps brisk and purposeful. He can't shake off the feeling of being left out, of being replaced by an artificial companion. He takes a deep breath, steeling himself to address the growing tension.

" So, Lyla," He grumpily mutters, " You're best friends with an AI now?"

" I mean, yeah," Pearl shrugs, " She's pretty awesome."

Miguel's jaw clenches at Pearl's casual response, his frustration simmering beneath the surface. He fights the urge to lash out, reminding himself that his feelings are irrational. Lyla is just an AI, a program he created to assist him in his work. But the pang of jealousy persists.

"Guys, you won't believe it!" Peter exclaims, his voice filled with excitement.

Startled by his sudden entrance, Pearl turns to face him, her heart pounding in anticipation while Miguel's eyes narrow with suspicion.

"What's going on?" Pearl asks, her voice tinged with curiosity.

A wide grin spreads across Peter's face as he delivers the news that fills the room with a mix of joy and surprise.

"MJ is pregnant! We're going to have a baby!"

Pearl's eyes widen in surprise, her hand instinctively covering her mouth in awe. She looks at Peter, her heart overflowing with genuine happiness for him.