Times at Puqi (Wattpad Special)

This story is set BEFORE the Blackwater Arc, so this is more of them hanging out as very good friends and doing chores at Puqi Village :D

Xie Lian woke up slowly to be met with the bright light outside Puqi Village. He slowly got up, stretching and yawning. Today would be a busy day for him, he needed money, and as a last resort, he needed to do manual labour. It was alright, though; he knew most of the people at Puqi Village. Most were either kind or ignorant of the daily affairs, so going around the village would be easy for him.

However, he was greeted with a pleasant surprise.

Hua Cheng was seen outside the shrine, raking up the fallen leaves around the small shrine and raking them into a pile.

"San Lang! What are you doing here!" Xie Lian gasps, running up towards the taller male. Hua Cheng was wearing simple clothing, a red tunic with a white undershirt and boots that seemed made of the finest leather. His hair was done into a messy ponytail, giving him a carefree look whilst still possessing that confidence aura he always had.

"Greetings, Gege," San Lang chuckles, smiling softly as he places the rake down next to the entrance of Puqi Shrine, "This San Lang had the day off, so I decided to spend the day with you, pray Gege won't mind."

"It's very fine with me! I was planning to do some chores here and there around Puqi Village; maybe you could help me if you were willing to?" Xie Lian asks, getting his bamboo hat and tying it around his head.

"Of course, I would be happy to help you, Gege."

"Great! Let's get going then!" Xie Lian says excitedly, running off into the town centre of Puqi Village.

The two entered the town centre, looking around and asking if any villagers needed help. It was only a short time before the two finally gained a request, the request being that they needed to clean up that villager's house. Xie Lian eagerly agreed with the offer, grabbing Hua Cheng's and dragging him to the villager's house. Xie Lian worked inside the house, while Hua Cheng worked outside. Xie Lian could hear some of the village girls giggling about Hua Cheng.

"My my, Xiao Hua looks especially good today, hehehe..."

"I agree! Should I ask him to marry me today!"

"No, he just returned from his home; after all, maybe ask tomorrow!"

Xie Lian sighed, face palming his forehead before stepping outside to see what Hua Cheng was doing.

Hua Cheng now had his red tunic wrapped around his waist, only his undershirt showing. Even though the sun was blazing against Hua Cheng's back, he still showed no sign of sweating.

What an admirable man, Xie Lian thought, smiling softly as he approached Hua Cheng.

"Does San Lang need any help with anything? I've done the inside, so I have some free time," Xie Lian asks, sliding his hand inside his sleeves and grabbing a steamed bun, taking a bite out of it.

"Nope, I'm nearly done with the outside. I just have to throw the trash out, and then we can move on to the next chore," Hua Cheng sighs, picking up a basket filled with rubbish collected from various places around the house. Xie Lian followed in tow after Hua Cheng, helping him carry a different basket filled with even more waste.

After completing their first chore, they went into the fields, ploughing out the lands and planting new crops for the new farming season. The villagers helped them by giving them small snacks to munch on while in the fields before resuming work.

At first, they were having fun. It wasn't long before it was the afternoon when the sun was at its hottest. Xie Lian and Hua Cheng were exhausted, and it was only the middle of the afternoon! Luckily, most of the needed work that needed to be done was completed. Only a few small places needed attention before they were done, and they would receive their small pay.