Chapter 1: Yetunde

Chapter 1: Yetunde

Mofe shifted uncomfortably on her feet on the rowdy assembly ground. The noise was irritating her, along with the feel of sweat running down her back caused by the rays of the scorching sun directly above the students. The students of Iroko International Academy were called during their break time for an emergency meeting that would be anchored by the head prefects.

The 16 year old dark-skinned girl tried to find a source of entertainment whilst waiting for the prefects. Her dove brown eyes rested on the the JSS3 boys currently complaining over how they could have used this time to play football. They were loudly shouting. It reminded Mofe of her uncles when they were watching football. The boys were making noise. She looked behind her. Where are the teachers?, she thought to herself.

Her gaze flew around the ground looking for something else to fix her attention. The SS2 girls were quite a sight. Mofe giggled at how they were openly staring at the head boy where he stood in front of them next to the pretty head girl with the navy blue hijab. An unreadable expression was on his face. He didnt exactly seem to be in the mood for the SS2 girls, or anyone for that matter. In fact, from where Mofe stood, at the very back of the SS3 girls' line(well, what was left of it since most of the SS3 students were prefects), she could have sworn Ibukun's eyes were red, swollen- she dare add.

"Ehem. Please can everyone please be quiet?," Aisha, the head girl asked. Yes, asked. Aisha was a calm, too calm (according to some people) beautiful girl. She was smart, intelligent, sharp, quick but when it came to crowds she froze up. Her voice became quiet,submissive. She was the type of person that told you sorry when you stepped on her foot. Which Mofe didn't see as a problem. In fact, Mofe admired Aisha from afar. In Mofe's words, Aisha was chill.

"Please can everyone be quiet?," she looked around frantically silently begging the other prefects to take action."Please-"

"Keep quiet."A deadly silence overtook the atmosphere. Immediately the head boy spoke, the SS1 boys stopped their bickering, even the SS2 girls stopped their fantasizing. Mofe wanted to make eye contact with Ibukun and laugh with him, but she thought against it when she saw his clenched jaw and the impatient bouncing of his left leg. Something was wrong.

"Ehem,"Aisha said, obviously embarassed."Thank you all for coming. Sorry for interrupting your long break. We are gathered here to receive terrible news, I want everyone to handle this maturely. That is why teachers are talking to the junior students while the headboy and I address you all. I am assuming the senior students of this prestigious school are mature enough to compose themselves when faced with serious matters-"a pause. Maybe for the students to take in what she said or she liked dramatic effects. She straightened her spine, lifted her chin and continued,"two days ago-"

"Abi you'll talk?", Ibukun asked suddenly. Everyone went silent. Even the rumbling sound of the generators around the school seemed to have dulled down.

Aisha was shocked, blinking her eyes rapidly, but recovered in due time."Ibukun, calm down,"she reached to touch his arm.

"If you touch me," he sucked his teeth,"Touch me first."

Aisha withdrew her hand.

"I'm calm, Aisha. I'm just trying to get the message across quicker-," he said turning to the baffled students.

"Guy, Ibukun-,"a prefect who was standing near by spoke up.

"Guy, Timi, shut up. In fact everyone shut up! Let me speak."

Timi, the one who had spoken, stepped away and walked to the back of the line where Mofe was. He stood silently beside her, a worried expression on his handsome features.