Bad Dreams

Aneko heard the sound of children's laughter. She turned and realized she was back at the old hut that she used to live in. The tall grass around her swayed in the wind and white butterflies flew past. Aneko looked around and found the little orphans she used to live with playing their usual games of tag by the river edge. Aneko couldn't believe her eyes. Was it true? Was the whole Seireitei, but a dream? Tears accumulated at her eyes. She was so happy to see them again.

Aneko suddenly felt a tug on her kimono and she looked down. There stood, the littlest of orphans and the closest one to her heart, Rucifer, the one who played with the fish in the river. He gave her a big smile, as she kneeled down to hug him tightly.

"Rucifer! It's like I haven't seen you in years. I thought you died." Aneko cried, happily.

Rucifer pulled away from Aneko and said, confused, "Big Sister, what are you talking about?" He paused and went on saying, "Big Sister, I am dead."

Aneko looked at him with shocked eyes and stuttered, "W-What are y-you talking about? You're right in front of me. You're not dead."

"Aneko... don't realize... you're dead too."

Aneko gasped and felt someone stab her back with a sword. She spat out blood and flew beside Rucifer. She tried to breathe, but simply couldn't and she winced at the pain of sword in her back. She then faintly saw Rucifer kneel down so she could see his face. He was smiling.

"See, Big Sister, now you can join us." Rucifer said, still smiling. "In Hell."

Suddenly a man comes behind Rucifer and stabs the little boy, too. Aneko gasps and looks up. She looks in shock and finds two piercing yellow eyes staring down at her.

"Hello, my dear. Remember me?"

Then the man with yellow eyes and raises his sword once more and moves it down swiftly, aiming for Aneko's face.

Aneko jolted up and looked around. She was panting heavily and a sweat drop rolled down her pale face. She then felt something stir behind her and she turned to see what it was. It was Byakuya, looking at her in an annoyed expression. She sighed and then looked back at Byakuya.

"I guess you didn't have a good nap then." He yawned, sitting up next to her.

They had been sleeping under a large tree that was growing on a hill. At the top, the view was incredible, overlooking the sparkling lake, the forest, and the whole Seireitei itself. Kyoraku wanted her to have a rest day along with Ukitake with Byakuya and there was no school, so Byakuya decided to go on a date with Aneko. She remembered that she was laying her head on his chest and he was leaning against the tree. Aneko must have woken him up when she jolted up.

"I'm sorry. Bad dream, I guess." Aneko said, placing her head on Byakuya's shoulder, looking at the lake.

Byakuya glanced at her and then said, "It's been a week ever since we started to go out and ever since then you've been having more bad dreams. Well, that's what I heard from Kinichi."

Aneko looked at Byakuya and said, placing her index finger on his lips "Don't worry about it. It will pass."

Byakuya looked at her, doubting and then he sighed. "Whatever you say, Aneko."

"What's that suppose to mean?"

"What it sounds like."

"Byakuya."

Suddenly Byakuya kisses Aneko softly and then says, "You're cute whenever you're mad."

"You're annoying." Aneko sighed, looking away and blushing.