Chapter 34

Ch. 34: Dane

Julian and I share a glance, as if we're each making sure the other heard the same thing. Slowly, I raise my hands.

"Erickson. Put the gun down," I say. "You're making a mistake."

Unmoved, Erickson tightens his grip on Freya's arm and forces her to her knees on the dusty floor. She bites her lip but doesn't make a sound, refusing to give him the satisfaction of knowing he's hurting her.

"Oh, there's no mistake," Erickson says, huffing with exertion and excitement. "And don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about. Thanks to your pal, Halloran, I know exactly what I'm talking about, Hunter.

He spits my name like it's a disgusting piece of gristle he found between his teeth, and Julian grimaces.

"All offense intended, Erickson, but why would Halloran tell you anything?"

Erickson leers at him. "We have an arrangement."

I keep my eyes on his gun. "Okay, what's your plan? There's three of us and one of you."

Erickson shrugs and thumbs the hammer of his firearm. "I figure if none of you want a bullet 'tween the eyes, you'll cooperate."

Julian moves in front of me. "And I figure your 'boss' wants me alive," he says.

Scowling, Erickson redirects his aim, pressing the barrel to the side of Freya's head.

"Listen up, Hunter. Get your twink on a leash or I put a bullet through this one's brain. I only came here to give you a message—Julian for your sister, an exchange, tonight at the reservoir. Didn't expect to stumble on this little scene, but given the opportunity, I figure I'll deliver the bounty in person, then wrap this case of 'burglaries' up at the same time. It's not unheard of for P.I. scum to make their own work, and now I've got all the evidence I need."

He hauls Freya to her feet and gestures with the gun.

"Alright. Out to my car. You can drive, Hunter. Keep your hands glued to ten and two. I'll keep an eye on your boytoy and your... 'sister.'"

He sneers at Freya, but despite her badly watering and bloodshot eyes, she arches a brow at him, undaunted.

"Bitch, I am already gonna fuck you up," she says. "You do not want to disrespect me right now."

He snorts derisively. "I think you're confused about who's gonna—Hey!"

Having picked up on Freya's almost imperceptible signal, I grab Julian and shove him to the side, drawing Erickson's attention. At the same time, Freya twists free of his hold.

In one smooth, practice motion, she drops, sweeps her legs in a wide arc, and knocks Erickson's feet out from under him. He lands heavily on his back, momentarily stunned. With far more flexibility than I could ever hope to master, Freya lifts her hips, slips her cuffed hands over her butt, rolls to the side and plants an elbow in Erickson's throat.

He makes an "Urkh!" noise and drops the gun reflexively as both his hands fly to Freya's arm, attempting to dislodge it from his neck.

"Stop struggling," Freya snaps, as I retrieve the weapon.

Defeated, Erickson obeys. Slowly, she lifts her elbow so he can breathe.

"What the fuck... are you?" he rasps between ragged gasps as he rubs his throat.

"I'm a lot of things, hon," she says. "Among them, a beauty queen, a bounty hunter, and a badass bitch. Oh, and a werewolf. Guess your boss forgot to mention that."