Chapter 35

Ch. 35: Julian

"Are you insane?" Dane asks.

He's staring at me as if I've grown a second head, and I suppose I can't blame him; the idea sounds crazy to me, too.

"Maybe. But I've been thinking, and the more I think, the more it seems like the answers are in the Shadowlands."

"Why?" Freya asks. Her eyes are still red and watering, but her vision is clearing up a little. "What's the connection?"

"The skin-changers," I say. "There've been three separate incidents we know of: the first when my ancestor sealed off the caves, the second with Rhiannon and my grandfather. What's happening now is the third. Skin-changers are the common thread. They come from the Shadowlands, and if they hold the answers, that's where we'll find them."

"What about Darragh and these other Fae?" Dane asks. "I thought you said they were bringing you back to Faerie."

"They were. But thanks to Halloran, I escaped, and that changed their plans. Based on Darragh's demands that we meet him at the reservoir, I think the rogue Fae came from the Shadowlands, too," I say. "At the very least, I think they're using it as a base."

"How 'bout it, Red?" Freya asks, kicking the side of Erickson's leg where he sits. "What you know?"

Erickson scowls. "I only know what Halloran told me, which is what I told you. After Lagrange, I told him I didn't want no part of this insanity. Told him he could out me if he wanted, but I was done. Shit—I even went to church last Sunday, and I ain't a church-going man."

"What changed?" Dane asks. "Obviously you're here now, and you seemed pretty committed to the job a minute ago."

Erickson spits. "Money. And family.

"In that order, huh?" Dane raises a brow.

Erickson glares at him.

"I got a call this morning. Halloran's number, but it was this Darragh guy I talked to. He told me to get you guys the message about the trade. Said there was a reward in it for me if I did. I told him to fuck off."

"And then?" Freya prompts.

"Then he put my niece on the line."

"Savannah?" Dane's tone sharpens.

Looking ill, Erickson nods. "Yeah. Pretty sure it was her. She didn't sound scared. Just sleepy and confused. But I know her voice. Then Darragh got back on and said if I helped him get you guys, he'd make sure she got home safe."

"Fuck. Does her mom know?" Freya asks.

Erickson shakes his head. "That's the thing. I called Pauline right away, asked if everything was okay. She sounded normal. Said Savvy was eating breakfast at the kitchen table right in front of her. But with these goddamn doppelgangers running around, I don't know what to trust anymore."

"Savannah's family—they own any pets?" Dane asks.

Erickson glowers at him sullenly. "A cat. Why?"

"When you called, did your sister mention it?"

Slowly, brow furrowed with an almost comical mix of animosity and confusion, Erickson nods. "Yeah. She was miffed she had to miss yoga to take the damn thing to the vet. Said it won't stop hissing."

Dane and I share a look.

"Sorry, Erickson," I say. "But that's not a good sign. Seems like animals can spot the fakes."

"Fuck." Erickson wipes a trembling hand across his mouth, the light of desperation making his bloodshot eyes shine as his gaze darts from me to Dane and back.