My Comfort Zone

Mackenzie Miller sighed as she lost another game of chess. "Ug! I hate chess, this is so confusing." Mackenzie said in an angry way. "Kenzie, It's not that hard, just memorize each play-" Before Isabella could even finish what she was saying, Kenzie cut her off. "It's whatever, can we just play something else?" Kenzie asked. "Sure Kenzie." Bella said, giggling. Kenzie admired Bella's room while she got another game out. The light pink walls and pink curtains, leading into a window with the view of trees and the woods behind her house. All of her teddy bears and stuffed toys on the shelf along with her books and board games. "Hey Girls, I'm sorry to interrupt you guys, but we need to head home so I can get dinner started." Kenzie's mom, Josephine, said. "Aweee" Bella and Kenzie say simultaneously. "Mom, can I please stay a couple more minutes? We were just about to start a new game.." Kenzie said sadly. "No sweetheart, I'm sorry but if you want me to make a good dinner tonight we need to head home." Josephine said. "Alright, we can hang out later Bella. I'll see you at school on Monday." Kenzie said. "Okay, Bye!" Bella said. Kenzie and her mother walked down the hallway into Bella's living room and said goodbye to her parents. "Thanks for letting me hang out with Bella, Mrs. Broussard." Kenzie said, speaking to Bella's mother. "Of course! You're welcome anytime." Kenzie and her mother walked outside and got in their car. As they were driving home, Kenzie and her mother were talking. "So how was school today Kenz?" Josephine asked. "It was good! I'm superrrrr glad it's friday tho. And you wouldn't believe me, but that boy I was telling you about, Noah, he was talking to me today." Kenzie said while smiling confidently. Kenzie had a crush on Noah Brooks, one of the popular boys at her school. "Awe thats great honey! Hey, speaking of school though, did you hear the news this morning about the Research Lab in our city?" Josephine asked. "No, what is it?" Kenzie asked. She couldn't care less about what the science lab in her city was up to, but she was curious about what was so important that it interrupted her and her mother's conversation about Noah. "Here, I'll let you hear it for yourself." Josephine reached for the radio and changed channels until the News channel came on. "Our local Research Laboratory of Science will be choosing 6 intelligent teens for an experiment. The teens will be chosen at random according to their grades from the last school semester. The Lead Scientist will be the one to choose the teens this Sunday." A News Reporter announced on the radio. Kenzie went blank. "Mom.. What if I get picked for the experiment?" Josephine looked at Kenzie like she was crazy. "Kenz, you are very intelligent for a 15 year old, but do you know how many other kids there are at your school that are more likely to be chosen?" Josephine said confidently. "Yeah, your right." Kenzie replied, still unsure if her mother was correct. Kenzie was very intelligent for her age and had always gotton straight A's in her classes.