5 - Sparring

Aha'ri continued to train with Neytiri for a month. After Neteyam's tip, Aha'ri quickly was able to consistently aim and shoot her bow. She hated giving him credit but without that pointer, she would still be missing the tree.

After she got her form and aim down, Neytiri taught her how to track using scent and tracks, where to aim so the kills were clean, and how to thank Eywa properly for each successful kill.

Before she knew it, Aha'ri was hunting and bringing back food for Lurei every other day.

Neytiri was very impressed by her determination. They grew close in the month they spent together. So close that Aha'ri was almost like a daughter to Neytiri. Though not close enough that they did family things together like eat or sleep. Aha'ri and Lurei were still on their own in that case.

She still wasn't allowed to go on raids either. But, since Aha'ri learned to hunt fairly quickly, Neytiri wanted her to keep going and learn how to fight. Aha'ri didn't refuse. The more she could learn to be able to protect Lurei she would.

Jake joined them now, having "expert experience" in something he called the "military" whatever that meant. But he knew how to fight, Aha'ri gave him that.

He taught her the basics first. Punches, jabs, kicks, and even some knife combos.

Compared to hunting, Aha'ri picked this up easily. Something about it clicked in her head. With each combination of moves, she saw it as a dance, allowing her to understand the basics within a week.

With this, Jake taught her more; offensive and defensive moves, disarming maneuvers for both knives and guns, and additional footwork that would throw off opponents.

But moving on to more advanced moves meant Aha'ri now trained with Neteyam.

Neteyam wouldn't even look at her the first day they trained together, though she didn't mind it. She threatened him now; it was hard not to smile at that.

The fact that she was picking up fighting moves like they were nothing didn't help.

The more they trained together, the more they just became sparring partners more than anything. Neteyam didn't have anything over Aha'ri anymore so they had nothing to argue about which left nothing for him to get mad at her about. But that doesn't mean she forgave him for what he did.

Today, Jake had them warming up for a sparring session. But, Jake's definition of warm-ups was not as mellow as he made it out to be. By the time they were done, Aha'ri was hunched over and panting. Neteyam wasn't doing much better.

Jake dismissed them to find some water before they started sparring so they at least had some energy to begin.

Aha'ri knew where the dapophet trees were near the river so she left and didn't bother to check if Neteyam followed. The only indication that she had was his footsteps behind her, stomping to catch up.

He strode next to her and they walked in silence.

Aha'ri took in the forest, following landmarks and scents to the river. She didn't want to be near Neteyam any longer than she had to.

After spending half of the walk in silence, Neteyam finally spoke. "Why don't you like me?"

She looked at him with furrowed brows, slightly surprised at the question. Did he really not know? "I thought it was kind of obvious."

He returned the look of confusion, confirming Aha'ri's thought. "What do you mean?"

"I mean you put my little sister's life in danger, I almost died trying to save her, and you never even apologized."