chapter two - sei la mia anima gemella

A few days after we arrive back from Hawaii, I have a driving test — the last hurdle until I can finally start driving again. Chris has been giving me lessons here and there, just to get me comfortable. The basics are the same, except, well, everything is kind of opposite, which at first was really hard to wrap my head around. It's super lucky the area we live in is pretty quiet.

"You'll smash it, honey." Chris assures, nudging me lightly, as we wait for the examiner. I snap my eyes to his and he gives me a smile, giving my thigh a reassuring squeeze. I exhale deeply.

"What if I d-don't? I don't do w-well under pressure."

"Hey, you passed your test first time back in the UK. Have some faith in yourself. You've got this. Trust me, from what I've heard, it's way easier to pass here in America than it is in the UK, and every lesson we've had you've been more than capable." I nod gently.

"Yeah, I guess so."

"You'll do great. And even if you don't pass, it's no big deal. You can take it again."

"Yeah. Yeah, no, you're right. It'll be f-fine." That's when one of the examiners walks over to us.

"Megan Pierce?" I nod and quickly shoot up.

"Yeah, hi!" The examiner smiles and Chris stands too.

"I'm Rebecca. I'll be your examiner today. Are you ready?" I take a deep breath and nod.

"Yeah."

"Good luck, sweetheart." Chris says, giving me a quick peck on the cheek. I smile and then anxiously follow Rebecca to the car. We both hop in and put our seatbelts on.

"How are you feeling today, Megan?"

"P-Pretty nervous." I confess and she chuckles, nodding.

"A few nerves are more than okay. Is this your first driving exam?"

"Uh, sort of. I mean, I have a UK license, but I've n-never done a test here in America b-before."

"Ah, amazing! That previous experience will help you out today, I'm sure. Shall we get started?" I nod gently, taking a deep breath.

About twenty minutes later, the test is over. I drove around some residential areas, but mostly we stayed in the car park. I can't quite believe how quick it is compared to UK tests. When the engine is safely off, Rebecca gives me the amazing news — a pass. I'm absolutely over the moon and can hardly hold in my excitement. "Thank you so, so much!" I beam and Rebecca chuckles, giving me a nod.

"Absolutely. You drive very well. You'll just need to head back inside to fill out some forms, but other than that, you're free to legally drive. Congratulations."

"Thank you!" We both get out of the car and I see Chris eagerly waiting outside the entrance of the building for me. I decide to mess with him a little, putting on a sad face as I walk over to him.

"Hey, how's it go?" He asks anxiously and I sigh deeply, shrugging. Heheheh. "Aw, Meg, nevermind. Next time, aye?" He says, rubbing his hands on my arms.

"There won't be a next time."

"Don't be silly. You've got to try again." I start grinning.

"There won't be a next time because I passed!" I beam excitedly, making his eyes widen and he laughs.

"Shit, Meg! Oh my god! That's amazing!" He chirps, throwing his arms out. "Get here!" I laugh and hug him tightly. "I can't believe you played me like that!"

"Couldn't resist." He chuckles, tightening his grip around me.

"I'm so proud of you. I knew you could do it." I smile, burying my face in his chest. "Now you can chauffeur me around everywhere." He says with a wink, pulling back slightly and making me laugh, rolling my eyes.