chapter three - a surprise birthday trip

My eyes slowly start to open and I moan a little, receiving gentle kisses on my neck and face. My lips stretch into a smile and Chris grins.

"Morning, beautiful."

"G'morning." I mumble, yawning. He chuckles, brushing his fingertips on my bare skin, drawing patterns.

"So, it's your birthday in a few days..." He states and I let out a weak laugh.

"Hm, I suppose it is."

"It's super exciting!"

"Hmmm, is it?"

"Absolutely. I can't wait to shower you with gifts and spoil you." He answers, kissing the tip of my nose, making me blush deeply. Oh, man.

"You do that already, like, all the t-time." I point out and he smiles, intertwining our fingers.

"But I get to do it more on your special day. Unless you don't want me to?"

"I never explicitly s-said that." I tease and he chuckles.

"Ah-ha, see. Have you thought about what you'd like to do?"

"Honestly, as l-long as I'm with you, I r-really don't mind. I'm happy with a quiet one at home."

"Well, that might prove to be a little difficult..." I narrow my eyes, as he starts to smile.

"Whhhy? What have y-you done?"

"I've organised a little surprise for you, is all."

"Oh my god, is it a s-surprise party and everyone's g-going to j-jump out and scare me?" He chuckles and shakes his head.

"No, no. It's better than that, trust me." He says with a wink. "But you will have to pack some stuff."

"What st-stuff? Are we going somewhere? Fuck, is it a surprise vacation?" He grins and nods. The excitement starts to boil and I shoot up. "Shut up, seriously!?" Chucking again, he sits up too and gives me another nod, resting his weight on his elbow as he lies on his side, looking so damn fine.

"Yep, seriously. I'm taking you somewhere real special."

"Oh my god! Ah! Th-This is— holy shit! Where are we going!?"

"It's a surprise! I can't tell you yet. But we do leave for the airport in approximately," He glances at the time. "Two hours."

"Two hours!? Shit, oh my god." I scramble out of bed, almost falling over, making Chris laugh. Dodger gets excited, hopping off the bed, wondering what's going on. "Gaahhh, what do I n-need? Underwear, obviously. Uh." I mumble to myself, frantically wandering around the bedroom, opening drawers and wardrobes. I run around like a headless chicken, until Chris gets up and stops me mid tracks, taking my hands.

"Calm down, honey. You have plenty of time. It's not super warm or super cold. It'll probably be similar to the weather here in Boston. Pack warm clothes; long sleeves and hoodies."

"Right, right. Okay. Cool. Yeah, I can do that. Uh. How l-long are we going for? Couple nights?" He grins again.

"Ten days." My eyes widen slightly and I can't help but smile.

"Ten days!? For r-real?"

"Yup, we'll need it." He answers easily, laying a gentle kiss on my forehead. I let out an unintentional squeak.

"Oh my god, I'm so excited. And n-nervous! Gah! I can't even. Wait. What about Dodger?"

"Mom's gonna look after him. She's also going to drive us to the airport. Don't worry, I've sorted everything. All you need to do is be packed and ready by 10:30." Taking a deep breath, I nod, trying to compose myself.