Chapter 2

"Ugh..."

Narinder had just eaten his foulest dish yet. In his godly form, he had no need to eat, and when he did eat, he ate the best of meats like the carnivore he is. Never would he have touched grass.

Groggily, he walked back to his seat at the shrine. He had no more excuses to not do his job. Just as he was about to sit, the temple bell rang, signaling the beginning of a sermon. Narinder sighed with relief. Looking at the time, it was close to night. After the sermon, he would be able to rest and reset the day.

Narinder walked with the crowd to the northeast section of the cult grounds. On his way, he spotted prisons. A lot of them. Even though he tried to ignore their existence, he couldn't. The crowd he was following laughed at the prisoners, finding hilarity at their downfall. He clinched his fists, and in an attempt to be nonchalant, forced himself to look at the prisoners. Thankfully, there were only two, leaving most of the prisons empty. They were a wolf and a frog. Narinder couldn't help but wonder which one was Jilgamere. Both of them looked miserable, their faces devoid of emotion. They must've been been there for a while.

*creak

The temple door opened, and the Lamb stood at the entrance. Narinder shuddered. For the first time, he looked at the Lamb with fear. Not even during their battle was he so afraid. The Lamb smiled, and Narinder had a feeling she was watching him.

"Come in, my sheep."

The Lamb stood aside as the crowd flooded in. For some reason, Narinder couldn't move. He didn't want to be in that crowded room. The Lamb did not rush him, but walked toward him instead. Narinder took a step back.

"Close the door. I want to have a talk with Narinder here."

Immediately, before Narinder even realized what was happening, the temple doors shut tight, leaving the two prisoners the only audience. The Lamb smiled at Narinder. Then laughed.

"Did they scare you with those prison stories? They're wrong, you know."

Narinder looked at her in shock. How did she know? Then, he calmed down after remembering an important detail. The Lamb could read the mind of her followers. It was an ability that he personally gave. He could only wonder whether she used it on him, or those other two at the shrine. But rather than feeling relief at the realization, he felt more unnerved by the Lamb before him. Just as he was about to speak, the Lamb interrupted him.

"I didn't imprison Jilgamere because he disagreed with me. In truth, there was no reason. I just wanted to do it!"

Narinder's eyes widened at her confession. If she could do such a thing to her innocent followers, then wouldn't he... her enemy...

"You see, my followers have such blind trust, that they make excuses for me! Even if they know poor little 'mere here would never dissent, they still believe he is in the wrong." The Lamb shook her head at the motionless frog. "If they knew I imprison them without reason, who knows what chaos it will bring!"

"Why... are you telling me this?" Narinder gulped. His fear rose again and again.

"No reason. I just think you are the only one I can confide with." The Lamb stepped closer, until she was a breath away from him.

"Other than you and Hutou, my followers are mindless sheep waiting to be slaughtered. Wasn't it you who taught me to use them?"

"As tools, n-not as toys..."

The Lamb laughed again, patting Narinder's shoulder affectionately.

"Calm down. Didn't you hear me? You're not one of my mindless sheep. As long as you don't disobey me, I won't do anything to you."

Narinder calmed a bit, but wasn't assured.

The Lamb saw his reluctance and smiled, pulling his arm while walking to the temple.

"C'mon, cheer up, we're going to get married!"

Narinder furrowed his brows in confusion and bewilderment.

What?