Chapter 7

The Lamb shut herself in the temple, finding calmness in its sturdy walls. She watched the colorful lights of the stained glass window, glowing red in the afternoon light. She didn't know what to think. For the first time since she took the red crown, she was lost. The thought of defeating the Bishops that she hated to the bone—once her only goal—no longer animated her body. After seeing the pathetic state of Leshy, cowering in his weakened state, everything felt meaningless.

She took a deep breath. It was not over yet; she still had much to do. She had a cult to rule and more bishops to 'save'. A smile hang crookedly on her face. Yes, she'll be able to avenge her loved one. Only three more to go...

In midst of her thoughts, she heard the door open behind her.

"Narinder."

"..."

Seeing the Lamb after such a long time, Narinder took a deep breath to ready himself.

The Lamb turned around with elegant tranquility, despite her wretched state. But Narinder could tell that it was feigned. Her eyes were restless, as if a deeper emotion is brewing inside. She had just come back from a near-death battle, after all. Perhaps he should come at another time?

Narinder shook his head. He wasn't sure when he would have a chance like this again. Now that he thought about it, the last time he talked to the Lamb was on the day of their marriage.

"Lamb. Something's been bothering you."

"Oh? You could tell?" The Lamb laughed. "Yes, something is bothering me. Something I didn't know I had to worry about. I really am still new to this godhood thing."

Narinder furrowed his brows. "No, not that. I meant about Lio—"

"What did you say?"

Suddenly, the Lamb's eyes turned dangerous. Narinder stopped. For a second, he felt the same fear he felt that day in front of the prisons. A part of him had the urge to take back his words, warning him to not start this conversation. But another emotion surfaced as he looked upon the wounded Lamb.

He took a deep breath and swallowed his fear.

"Who is Lio?"

Upon hearing his question, the Lamb clenched her fists, the wounds on her hand bleeding from the action. Her expression slowly filled with rage. Just as Narinder thought he was done for, she erupted into maniacal laughter.

"He's my precious little brother, of course! The only family I ever had... but he was taken from me in the end."

Narinder couldn't help but shiver. Her laughter was exactly like the one on that day. Her eyes were filled with a wild craze.

"...Is that the reason why you're like this?"

The Lamb smiled sadistically. "Perhaps. Perhaps not."

As she approached him, Narinder backed away into the entrance. In his fear, he fumbled around the door, trying to escape. But before he knew it, his legs were already bound by the Lamb's crown, grasped in its shadowy hands. He was dragged to the ground.

"No! Stop!"

Terror consumed his mind, and his voice became incoherent. He was reminded of his days bounded by chains, before a more horrible, miserable picture of Jilgamere appeared in his mind.

"Didn't you say— say that I'm special?! Aren't I your husband?!"

As he said the last word, the Lamb's eyes widened as she stopped in place. Hope grew in Narinder's heart as he watched her expectantly, but he felt it sink into a frozen lake as he heard her piercing laughter.

"I almost forgot! I did marry you, in order to make you fall into the deepest depths of despair and humiliation." She stared into his eyes with a cold gaze, her voice lowering with each word. "Because I hate all the bishops for what they've done. Including you."

Feeling her cold gaze, Narinder shuddered with fear. But what was more important was the words she spoke. Only now did he realize that the Lamb never had any feelings for him. It was all in his head. He wished he wasn't here, and she was directing her anger at someone else  instead.

For a moment, he wished he was still ignorant to her true feelings, like the days after that marriage, waking up everyday with that trace of expectation. But reality was different.

"Did you forget? You were the one who started everything. From the moment you revived me and forced me to serve you, I vowed to take you down after I dealt with your siblings."

His heart sank. Yes, it was his fault. He was the one who first turned against his siblings and was justly punished. The massacre of her and her family... was done to keep him from escaping.

He cast down his eyes. For the first time, he regretted what he did. He would not have been imprisoned, and she would not have been implicated had he not desired for more than he deserved. It turns out that eternal imprisonment was what he deserved all along.

He braced himself for the Lamb's next wave of sharp words. But they were not what he expected.

"You should've just left me to die."

Shocked, he looked up at the Lamb. She was crying.

"Why... why did you choose me..."

Narinder stared at her in disbelief. This was the first time he saw her cry. Her followers probably haven't see her cry either. He saw her pained expression, and couldn't imagine how alone she must've felt, latching onto her memories of Lio and igniting the desire for revenge all this time, just to keep going. She hid for so long...

Although he was scared, Narinder held out his hand. He thought of the pathetic and cowardly Hutou. The reason she was so attached to him was probably because his personality is the same as Lio's.

"Is this what Lio would've wanted?"

The Lamb opened her eyes, and her crying stopped. Narinder carefully touched her cheek, wiping off her tears.

"He wouldn't want you to be like this. He would want you to be happy."

She stared at him with wide eyes, before welling up with tears again. Covering her face, she cried harder than ever before.