Part 9 | Dissociation

Lopunny stands straight up, her eyes looming dimly over you now as she lets your answer sink in

Lopunny stands straight up, her eyes looming dimly over you now as she lets your answer sink in. You swear her fur is beginning to stand up, her lips stuck in an eternal scowl at the absurdity of what you told her.

No?

No?!

"I don't make you proud?" she says in a deadpan voice, her eyes never daring to leave yours.

Tears finally come to your eyes. The weight of everything that has happened up to this point rushes back to you — Bella's death, Ian's death, the guilt in your heart for raising this monster and not realizing how dangerous she was until she took that first girl's life.

Your emotions pour out in the form of your hot words, dripping with ugly hatred.

"You don't make me proud," you hiss, clenching your fists, "I don't know how you could possibly think I care about you. After all you've done! You've killed some good—"

Your words begin to choke you. You swallow hard as warm tears rush down your cheeks.

"—good people," you continue. "My only damn friends. You killed them both. And you have the audacity to think I love you?"

Lopunny's eyes narrow.

"I don't love you. I was hoping you stayed dead, but you came back! You came backsomehow — and now you only exist to ruin my life!"

It feels good to finally get this off your chest. Every worry and regret that's been building up inside you spills from your mouth, reeking of rage. It is a toxin to Lopunny's ears.

Your breaths are erratic and irregular as you try to calm yourself, huffing and puffing heavily now. By now you expected her to say something, anything, but the harder you stare up into her blood-red eyes, the easier it is for you to see...

She's just as angry as you are.

"But I love you," she whispers, and her body vibrates ever so slightly. "I only want to protect you."

"You're not protecting me!" you shout. "You're killing my friends! Who's next, huh?! My parents? My entire family tree? Me?!"

Suddenly she grabs your shoulders and leans forward so that her face is only inches from yours, and for the first time she yells back.

"Everything I do is for your sake! If I don't protect you, what else am I good for?" She pauses, her grasp on your arms tightening. "Or... is that what you mean? That I'm not good for anything?"

It pains part of you to hear her voice drop so low and sound so depressed. Her eyes trail off to the side as she ponders this possibility — that she serves no real purpose. You don't respond as she slowly removes her paws from your shoulders.

She stands up straight again, taking a slow, shallow breath and shutting her eyes. The energy within the room, her energy, becomes thick around you. The air is filled with a bitter and toxic aroma. Taking even the smallest breath makes your lungs squeeze and burn.