On the Edge

On the Edge

Linda looks down at her phone, waiting for the reply. Dazed by the drugs she has taken, she waits. The movement of the wheelchair stirs her from her phone. The nurse behind her pushing her down the hallway. Moments ago, she came from the opposite way. Her left foot cast poked out in front like a battering ram. She smiles as the text message bell goes off. Her boyfriend Neil replies "I miss you, Buttercup."

Linda wonders how he would take the news, but that isn't concerning her right now. She looks up the hallway and spots Rebecca, the "Disney on Ice show" program manager." Rebecca waves and smiles. Linda rolls her eyes to say, "Can you believe this?"

The nurse stops pushing as they get to Rebecca. Linda turns to the nurse and says, "Thanks."

The nurse turns and leaves, "So, what's the prognostic?" Rebecca asks.

'It's not broken, but badly sprained. The doctor felt a cast would help me keep it still... Thanks!" Linda expresses sarcasm in the final word.

She knew she'd be out of the Tour for the next couple of months and knows why Rebecca is here. She is arranging things for Linda, which doesn't involve skating. Rebecca pushes Linda to the Cafe down the hall so they can discuss her situation. Linda felt joyful about receiving the buttercup message but it is quickly squashed by the presence of Rebecca. Her heart sinks, remembering the fall she had.

She had been skating for Disney's "Christal Palace" Down Under Tour for six months. She travelled most of the Southern Hemisphere touring New Zealand, Australia and South Africa. The company just arrived in Johannesburg. During practice, the drape of Linda's custom caught on her blade and twisted her ankle when fallen to the ice. They don't usually wear costumes during training, but Rebecca had some guests to impress. She loved performing as Disney characters, and her favourite was Minnie Mouse. It certainly got most of the attention. Her artistic ways of detail had undoubtedly caught her eye of Rebecca.

When they arrive at the Cafe, Linda assumes the worst and waits for the rejection. Rebecca sits down across from her and smiles. She reassures, 'I don't worry about the skating. I have a better offer for you. Linda leans back slightly and narrows her eyes. Ticking her head to the side, waiting for the following phrase.

'I've always admired your artistic ability, attention to detail with the costumes and... Well! I need someone to fill in for the costume designer role. As you know, Jill is leaving us next rotation, and I am hoping for you to step in.'

Jill has been Disney's costume carer for two years and is ready to return to America. Long trips away from her husband caused her to waver a bit. It is now time to amend their relationship. Linda knows how easy it is to get involved with someone on Tour. So many attractive and fit skaters who needed comfort. Linda had plenty of relations, although she likes Neil and hopes things will improve.

Linda's eyes lid up at the offer. She smiles and thought Wow! She isn't going to fire me. I'm going to continue with the Tour with Neil.

She met Neil on Tour, who is part of the production crew. Sound and lighting are mainly his things. Their relationship appears to be going to the next level, and she wonders what would have happened if she left the Tour.

'This is so unexpected. I thought you were here to let me go.'

Rebecca smiles back and says, 'Not yet, kid.'

Once Linda was released from the hospital, Rebecca drove her to the Northgate Ice Rink, where the skaters were rehearsing. Linda wants to see the crew before going back to the hotel. Linda looks out towards the city in a new way. She is sad that she isn't skating tonight but glad that she's remaining with the Tour. Linda is excited about the costume designer job. It's what she does best. She heard another tone from her phone, and she reads, 'How's the ankle? Sweetie pie!'