ACT 1 CHAPTER 5: The Entry Exams

The lights flashed on. Tom jumped up, but ended up slamming his head against the top bunk. Trix slowly sat up, rubbing her eyes. The other students began to line up at the door. Tom stood behind Trix as the door automatically opened with a screen turning on, reading "Destination: Cafeteria"

Tom muttered to Trix, "That's new"

"The door too."

The line of students marched down the hallway to a door with a screen reading "cafeteria".

They entered the cafeteria, a wide room with long folded tables and a roped line to receive food. Each student received a blob of unknown mush as well as a small wrapped candy. Trix shuddered at the blob as she hesitantly took it.

Tom sat next to Trix. Each glanced at each other and back at the glob. Trix read the small writing on the candy, "Pizza flavor. Instructions: Chew before consumption"

She plopped it into her mouth and then reluctantly scooped a spoonful of the mush and blindly swallowed it. Her eyes widened, "Shit! It tastes like pizza!"

All the students at the table followed and began to consume their meal. The PA suddenly blared, "Hello students, any names I read to you, the corresponding students must report to my office, located on Sublevel 7. George, Virginia, Lyca, and Filo. Thank you for your cooperation." The PA clicked off.

The selected students stood up and left the cafeteria. Trix and Tom shrugged it off.

|2|

George, Virginia, Lyca, and Filo all scurried to the elevators. The elevator doors instantly opened and the students piled inside. The door closed as Lyca pressed the button labeled -7. They all stood quietly until the ding and the doors opened. The stood in the hallway, reading the directional sign, then headed to the office.

They walked into the Secretary's office. He looked at a blinking red light on his desk, "You may enter."

The students walked to the door, took a deep breath and opened it, stepping inside.

|3|

The students in the cafeteria heard the bell ring, and glanced at the screen above the doorway. Now it read, "Exam room"

The students marched to the familiar room and sat in the auditorium-like classroom.

The large monitor once again flickered on, to the face of the Founder, "Welcome to the entry exams. Prepare yourselves."

Packets once again were presented to them and a 3 hour timer began. Trix examined the packet. 100 questions on typical knowledge from grades 1 through 12. She took a deep breath and tried her best.