Chapter 2

October 2000

Every day I went back to the guys on the corner sometimes with Kev, sometimes with Ty, sometimes by myself. I had finally made enough money to pay the rent but the other bills and food weren't going to be covered. I needed to do more.

"Kev, this not cutting it." I said as we counted the money I had earned in his bedroom.

"Well what else are you gonna do Tre?" he questioned looking at me concerned.

"I don't know what else to do." I put my head in my hands afraid of the outcome. If anyone found out that Kayla and I were living alone they would put us in foster care and we could be separated. I didn't want that to happen to us. I had to figure something out.

"Here." Kev said reaching into the dresser beside his bed and pulling out some more bills.

"I can't take that form you Kev. You earned that."

"I'm giving it to you. I don't want anything to happen to you." Kev replied. Something in his expression told me not to argue so I didn't.  "It's 200 is that enough?"

"I don't know. The part that said due now was like 220 but it had another amount on it. They might be behind or something." Kev sighed.

"Tre this is crazy man. Why can't we just tell my mom and yall come live with us?"

"Cause what if your mom don't want to take us in? What if she call the people?"

"She not going to do that."

"How you know?" I looked at him angry. He sighed and rubbed his head.

"I can sell my PS2." Kev said after a long silence.

"Man you can't do that. Your mom would go crazy that system is brand new."

"I don't care."

"What would you tell her if she asked you why you sold it?"

"I don't know."

"We not doing that."

"Then how you gonna get the money. I don't want my best friend to go away." Kev yelled at me. The situation was serious and we both knew it.

"I'll figure something out." I sat on the bed staring into space debating on if I wanted to go and have a serious conversation with the guys from the corner. They probably wouldn't take me serious because of my age but I couldn't be more serious. Just then there was a knock at Kev's door. We scrambled to put the money away. Kev got up and crack the door open slowly.

"What the hell Ty?" He yelled before grabbing Tyler and pulling him into the room and slamming the door behind him.