Interest

I woke up feeling grumbly.

I couldn't tell if it was my attitude or my stomach, but either way something was off. I wasn't in my bed—that wasn't a good sign. Before I opened my eyes, I knew my back was twisted like a pretzel, and the very thought of moving broke me even further.

So I stayed with my eyes shut.

I felt in my fingers a blanket. Odd, I didn't remember pulling one over me last night. My pillow wasn't very pillow-y, but it was squishy and comfortable. I know people always say the warm parts of the pillow are the worst, but this one actually felt nice. Preferable, even.

That is, until I felt the pillow stirring.

Very slowly, very gently, my "pillow" breathed. It matched my own breaths, so it was hard to become aware of, but I felt it. Under the blankets, I also felt clothes. They weren't mine. They weren't on me.

Pillows don't normally wear clothes.

I opened my eyes. The cream-colored apartment. The white-colored furniture. Sae.

I laid with my head on his chest and the blanket encompassed us both. We were laid down on his couch, and the only thing he used as a pillow was his arm, with the other one wrapped around my waist, keeping me closely tucked on top of him.

Do I freak out right now? I suddenly panicked. I can't wake him, what if he thinks during the night I crawled on top of him or something? That's really weird. But I mean, he is the one who brought me the blanket, so maybe he was the one who laid like this? Either way, no chance I wanna wake him up. Too many words to explain on either side.

I didn't even remember falling asleep. I felt the slight itch of my dress and remembered the night before. This probably wasn't the relaxing night Sae was hoping for.

Did we...

I couldn't even bring myself to think of it. No. No, we did not sleep together. I wasn't drunk nor drugged nor had amnesia. I simply fell asleep.

My stomach growled. When was the last time I'd eaten? I saw a nearly-full bucket of popcorn on the table in front of us, but decided not to eat it due to the noise. I didn't remember having any, but if Sae didn't have any either then it must've been quick that the two of us drifted off.

He grumbled in his sleep, probably feeling me shuffle around and figuring out what was going on. I laid back down, and for a brief, brief moment, wondered what it would be like to experience this forever.

I quickly pushed that thought out of my mind.

Sae wasn't like that. He didn't even need to tell me that and I knew he wasn't like that. He'd be too busy for a relationship and besides, I just broke up with my own boyfriend. Who Sae violently intervened with because of me.

Maybe...

No. No. It was too much to think about. And to avoid thinking more about it, I fell asleep once again.

This time I woke up differently. There was a pillow beneath my head—a real one—and an additional blanket had been stacked on top of me. That was all well and good, but the boy beneath me was gone.

My nose twitched. Something smelled good. I popped up from the couch and I could hear my stomach growling again.

"Sae...?" I asked drearily. No response.

I called out to him again. Nothing.

I got up and headed over to the kitchen to see what smelled so good. In it, I saw a plate of pancakes and berries at the table, and Sae at a small griddle cooking more. But this wasn't my Sae—the surly, grumpy, judgmental Sae—this was someone different altogether.