Chapter XXXII

Chapter XXXII
Change is Coming

"Hesperia..."

My breathing momentarily stopped when he spoke without gazing at me. How did he know it was me?

The wind blew against my cheeks, its coolness kissing my bare skin. "Hello," I greeted, tucking a few strands of my hair behind my ear. "Why are you here at this late hour?"

I just left from Djedefhor's room when I passed by at the terrace and found Khufu sitting comfortably on a mat. He seemed to be in deep thoughts, and I happened to get the urge to disturb him.

"I'm not sleepy yet," he answered, finally glancing at me. He tapped the space beside him, as if it was meant for me to fill in. Or maybe he just preferred sitting at the corner of the mat. No need to overthink, Hesperia.

"Come," he added.

"Okay..."

After I squatted by his side, a comfortable silence enveloped between us. He kept himself busy gazing at the sky while I closed my eyes, listening to the whispering sound of the night: its gentle winds, the clanks of the light lamps, and his deep breathing. I didn't even know what has gotten into me for joining him when I could've said no.

But I can't deny... this is nice.

"I've gotten busy after rescheduling some matters lately," he suddenly spoke, "and I didn't see you a lot the entire day."

"Yeah..." I said casually, opening my eyes.

It's been quite busy at the palace. The leeves project was surprisingly completed and reached the deadline. I couldn't even imagine how many workers worked on that; perhaps, thousands? Plus, I've been busy practicing the dance performance with Maye and others.

"So how did your day go?"

My heart jumped, catching me off guard from his attentive gaze and sudden question.

I composed myself, while he stared at me, looking forward to whatever I'd say.

"It was... It was fine and tiring. Like that." When I glanced at him, he was staring at me still, as if waiting for me to elaborate more.

Feeling pressured, I cleared my throat and forced myself to recall what happened today. In a short while, I began my narrative. "We danced all morning... The dance steps were kinda confusing at first but Dalia along with Maye and others are very patient with me so now, I've been improving a lot. And, uhm, I..."

I am still having a hard time with the eye contact.

I gazed at him again but immediately looked away when I realized his eyes were completely fixated upon me. I gulped. Let's not mention the last one.

"Then?"

"And oh, Princess Khamerernebty has been inviting me to her little tea parties during my breaks in practice. And Prince Djedefhor..." I chuckled when I remembered how he sulked earlier. "He seemed to miss me lately so I played with him the entire evening."

"You must be exhausted."

"I am." I instinctively stretched my arms. "I've never been this tired when I was still in our homeland..."

"Tell me about it."

"Hmm..." I leaned my arms back and gawked at the night sky. Then just like that, my treasured memories with my family followed.

"Grandma has her own pastry shop at our land. It may be small and simple but she was able to provide our needs with her hardwork. She was a very admiring woman, you know? She is like my mother and father at the same time who's living inside one's body..." It's actually almost similar in my current case—me living inside the Queen's body too. I chuckled on that thought.