Chapter 14

14.

Lady Dema wore black robes and a veil out behind the garden maze in the cemetery. Princess Melony matched her, the poor girl. Her father was gone, leaving her and her mother alone in this world. Mourners, all dressed in black, gathered in silence around the grave and tombstone of Theodore of the Axe Hilt. The only one not in black was a Cleric of the church of Thiximir, sanding behind the memorial holding a testament in his hand.

King John and his son, Prince John, had arrived from Whitehaven in black cloaks showing no symbol. The king was standing next to his daughter and gently rubbing Dema's back as tears welled in her eyes, and she pouted as the Pallbearers came to the grave holding the last remains of Sir Theodore.

The stained and well-made wooden coffin carried with pressure on Donner's shoulder. He was in the back left of the casket holding it up along with Hamish, McLaurin, and Sir Hughe. Donner was asked to serve Sir Theodore one more time as his faithful squire, and Donner couldn't say no. He held steady with his palm pressing against the bottom as they came to the grave and gently lowered it into Theodore's final resting place.

Donner crossed his hands in Infront of his cloak, he was asked to wear Sir Theodore's colors one more time for his solemn duty, the final duty he would have as Theodore's squire, Theodore's second. He kept his head down in solemn respect. It didn't feel real, Sir Theodore of the Axe Hilt, the hero of the great war with Diritan, the savior of the kingdom, slayer of dragons, and a knight chivalrous beyond compare. Died for nothing, not to save a country, or to defend his lady, killed in a meaningless squabble that wasn't even supposed to wager with death in the first place.

The Cleric cleared his throat and began to speak his prepared eulogy, "The Gods have seen that Sir Theodore's time in this world has come to an end. He was a loving husband, a caring father, and no one held more honor or ruled with more kindness," the preacher took a deep breath, "He died defending his families honor, and may Necroix guide him to his final resting place, may Thiximir give him peace, may Balxador speak to his strength,"

As the Cleric went on with the traditional resting eulogy for the people of Kinleath invoking all six of the gods, Donner kept his fist gripped tightly. He did his best to hold back his own tears, his efforts failing as one rolled down his cheek. He turned to Melony, and could see her holding her mother's arm tight, she had no tears of her own, but her face was white and in a constant state of shock. Poor girl, just a child and losing her father. He looked to Dema. Her tears flowed freely as she gently rubbed the back of her daughter's head. King John stood tall and proud, not daring to show weakness even here at the funeral of his Son-in-law and his kingdom's best Knight.

"-And may any other gods he meets in the next world bless him as well," the preacher said, finishing the eulogy.

"May he be blessed," the attendees repeated.

The women took turns laying flowers on Theodore's grave. When it was Melony's turn, holding the pink flower Donner saw Theodore pick for her just a few days ago, She got on her knees and dropped the flower, then fell on her bottom and started to cry and wail. She buried her face in her hands and sobbed uncontrollably as her mother rushed to grab her and held her tight.

As Dema tried to calm Melony, Sir Hugh handed shovels to Donner and Hamish. Donner tried to empty his mind of thoughts as the four bearers began to shovel dirt of Theodore's grave. Not a week ago, Theodore was teaching Donner everything he could ever want to learn about being a Knight. But now, Donner was putting him in the ground, trying to block out the sounds of a wailing mother and daughter from his ears as he tried to focus on his work.

The guests were invited to the castles main hall to grieve together over prepared food and wine, Donner decided against attending. As he made his way off castle grounds, he passed the row of Chauffer's who had been hired to take the attendees home after the wake.

"Do you require a ride," one asked as Donner passed him.

"No, thank you, I'm only in Hillshade, I'm just going to walk," Donner sighed as he turned and headed down the long road back home. As he trudged along the dirt path, his sword clanged against his leg. He Adjusted his belt to try and keep it from bothering him. His father was right. He had waisted so much time and effort making that glorified toy. He couldn't be a knight, couldn't even get through squire training without watching his mentor get killed. Killed for such a stupid reason. That Hamish, shame on him for attending the funeral, to think he was given the honor of taking Theodore to his final resting place. Shame on the nobles and their damn traditions. They say that the demand of satisfaction is about honor, but what honor can one earn if they're not the one doing battle? It's all a joke, a lie. Paul was right. If Donner even became a Knight, he would just end up getting himself killed.

He thought if what he just saw was how his own story was going to end, carried to a hole in the ground just for Thalia to throw some flowers on top of him before he was buried and never thought about again. He rubbed his eyes, took a deep breath, and sighed. Donner had walked over a mile, and his home was still a ways away. His muscles were aching for rest when he finally got to Hillshade. He almost fell over as he entered his house.

"Donner," his mother said, on edge about how to help her son deal with this mess.

"Son," Rickard said.

Mary put her hand on Donner's shoulder, "Are you okay honey, do you need to talk?" she asked, biting her lip and trying to give Donner a warm welcome to relax him.

"I'm fine mother, I just want to lay down, and I'm not hungry, don't wake me for dinner, please," Donner said as he turned and made his way to his room.

"He looks horrible," Mary said, rubbing her husband's shoulder, so concerned for her boy.

"Let him work through this in his own time, if we push him, he's just going to get more upset," Rickard said.

"Is that really a good idea, he needs to talk this through, what happened, it was so awful for a boy his age to see," she said, "He was his Second, he was right there watching Sir Theodore die," she said, "I wish there was something we could do to help him get through this," she said, leaning her head on her husband's shoulder.

Donner began to pull off his cloak, his arms so sore and frustrated. He had some difficulty getting it off. He fought and struggled to get the damn cloak off him and threw it to the floor. He took off his belt and, with the same reckless frustration, threw his sword to the corner of his room. He got out of the rest of his wear then flopped onto the bed, burying his face in his pillow. His eyes were shut tight, and he begged for sleep to come. After a three-mile walk, every one of his muscles burned in stress and overwork, body so tired. He kept his eyes shut, tried not to move, but sleep never came, so much going through his head.

After a long restless night and finally just falling unconscious, his parents decided it would be best to let him sleep in. As much as Mary wanted to bother his rest with a fresh plate of eggs, Rickard stopped her. Later in the afternoon, Rickard was in his shop, fulfilling an order when Donner entered wearing his work clothes.

"Donner," Rickard said, looking up, "Sorry, hope my work didn't wake you," he said, knowing he would have to choose every word carefully as not to inflame his son's delicate emotions.

"Hey, dad, think I could help out today? I'm okay, I just want to work, blacksmithing clears my head, so what do you say? Need any help?"

"Yes," Rickard nodded, "Yes, I do, son. I'm working on some plowshares. You remember how to make those, right?" Rickard asked.

"Yeah," Donner said as he got behind his workstation and took his hammer. He took a scrap of metal and started to heat it in the coals, "I just want to work right now, whatever you need, I'll do my best," Donner said, smiling.

"Very good then," Rickard said, putting his hand on Donner's shoulder and speaking nothing more than, "Let's get our work done."

Next Time:
Donner has given up his dreams of being a Knight. At his lowest point, can his friends possibly bring him through this?

Like and Subscribe, and leave a review if you can, and come back next time for the continuing adventures of Donner and Thalia!

Head to Dimestorepublishing.com for more stories