01: The Husband

01
The Husband

- Third Person's POV-

Darius got home early for once. Usually, on Friday nights, he'd stay with his brothers and cousins till past midnight, talking about the silliest things, then stumble in late at home. But tonight, he had this weird urge to go home early, though he couldn't figure out why.

He parked his car in the garage and took a moment to gather himself. He was feeling some kind of way, but he couldn't put a name to it. It wasn't nerves or anger or excitement. It was just... something.

Darius chuckled to himself, realizing that perhaps what the Paps were writing about him are true, that he's not a man of emotions, that's why he can't figure out what's the feeling.

Getting out of the car, he grabbed his duffle bag and headed to the front door. As he entered, he was hit with the smell of butter, garlic, and something cooking. It's the kind of Friday night he usually never had the chance to watch — coming home to a hot meal waiting for him on the kitchen counter after a night of practice and some time with the boys.

And there she is, in the kitchen. Irene, his wife. She's wearing a cute pink apron, busy doing her own thing.

Irene have long, curly copper hair that reaches her waist, freckles on her face, a small mouth with plump lips, and a cute little nose. A doll. Standing on her average 5'5 height, Darius still wonders how can such small lady be a sportswear model. Not that he's against it, he's seen her photos online, and she's definitely living that gym-lady life.

He looked at her, and she looked back at him with her big blue eyes, surprised. Those eyes used to be full of life and emotion wherever she is, but now they always turn empty whenever they meet his gaze. The message is clear; she hates him.

"I'm home." Darius mumbled, averting his gaze away from hers as he took a seat on one of the kitchen stools. Irene watched him like he's an alien, she never knew she'd see a Friday night where the well known NHL husband she has will come home early. Then suddenly, Darius put a small envelope on the table, her expression softened a bit.

"What's that?" she asked, while her left eyebrow raises, showing her curiosity about what's in the envelope.

"A wedding invitation from Sofia." He replied, his tone monotonous. In a short moment that it happened, Darius didn't missed the uncomfortable look and regret in Irene's eyes, the look that says 'I shouldn't have asked'. He wanted to explain and assure her that it's okay, but Darius remained silent, knowing well Irene hates it when people step on the lines.

People accused him of mistreating his wife, but he preferred this icy distance between them. Space and silence between each other are their common ground, and he knows very well a small change about that will make Irene uncomfortable, which Darius wouldn't like at all.

"Oh." Irene said, her eyes staying on the envelope placed on the table. Her face turned blank when she heard the news, specially the name, knowing well who Sofia is.

Darius never had the chance to know Irene before they got married, nor is he making ways to know her now that they're a year married. More than just the space and silence between them, there is also unfamiliarity. He's never asked her what's her favorite color, nor did she asked him. He never knew her favorite meal of the day, nor did she. He even doubts Irene knows his hate on rosemary and celery.

Darius and Irene are polar opposite. Darius is the reserved, disciplined type of man, while Irene is the ray of sunshine that everyone loves. Darius had a simple teen life, he's a devout Christian, and focused in no woman but in his relationship with God, and hockey career. Meanwhile Irene is well known for her wild-party college nights.