Chapter 7

Cassidy put on a pot of coffee while they waited for Checker to arrive. Maxlie eyed her, deep in thought. After grabbing a mug from the cabinet above her head, Cassidy let her shoulders droop in defeat.

"I can feel you staring at me."

Maxlie snapped her attention back at the sound of her voice. "Sorry." She sheepishly rubbed her neck before continuing. "It's just... I get that you didn't know any specifics and you didn't want me to interfere with whatever she was working on. But why didn't you tell me that she was wrapped up in some dangerous stuff?"

Cassidy turned to face Maxlie. Her tone was gentle, but Cassidy could tell she was hurt. She leaned against their island, hands clasped in front of her. "I was trying to protect you, both of you. If Checker thought this Big H guy was so threatening she needed to hide stuff from me too, then I wasn't going to bring you into this." Cassidy held eye contact with Maxlie, emphasizing her honesty. "I also know what you think about any sort of crime."

Maxlie gave a sheepish smile. "I wouldn't have done anything."

"I know. But you wouldn't have viewed Checker the same anymore, would you?" Cassidy bowed her head slightly, remembering their past.

"You of all people should know I don't judge that way." Maxlie stood up and walked behind Cassidy, wrapping her hands around her waist. "Not her, and not you."

Cassidy turned to face Maxlie, pulling her into a full hug. Maxlie was taken by surprise as she was normally the one who initiated physical affection.

Maxlie tightened her grip, arms around Cassidy's shoulders, scared the hug would end too soon. Cassidy let out a small huff of a laugh, pulling back to look Maxlie in the face.

"Let me take my coat off." Cassidy said, as she pulled away from Maxlie.

Sly smile on her face, Maxlie's eyes narrowed. "I thought we were expecting company?" She teased.

Cassidy rolled her eyes, walking to the door to place her coat on the hook. Her wings extended as soon as the material was lifted off her back. She let out a breath of relief as she flexed them out.

Cassidy's ear flicked as a noise beyond their door caught her attention. "Checker's downstairs."

Maxlie closed the gap between the two, pulling her back in for another hug. As she did so, she whispered, "Don't worry, we'll finish this up later." Leaning back out she winked.

This earned another eye roll followed by a slight blush from Cassidy. She led the way down the stairs where Checker was waiting patiently next to Cassidy's desk.

"Alright, Checker. You've got a lot of explaining to do." Cassidy's voice was blunt, expecting protest.

Checker gave a slight nod. Her posture relaxed as she slumped against the wall.

"How long have you been working toward this case? You made the connection before anyone else, so how long did you have this hunch?"

A brief pause while Checker held up two fingers.

"Two years? That's right after the first murder. Why didn't you come to us then?" Maxlie's eyes widened and her jaw slacked at the new information.

Checker shrugged her shoulders slightly. She signed an apology to Maxlie, then to Cassidy she added some more.

"You should've come to me when you first linked the cases. This could've been investigated prior to any other killings." Cassidy gave a look of disappointment to her friend.

"What were you thinking? Working for a guy like that?" Maxlie butted in. Her voice was calm, but a tinge of sadness seeped in.

Checker signed another apology to Maxlie. Her eyes flicked down to Maxlie's leg briefly, but lingered long enough for her to see.