Act I - Chapter 16

Some scenes of violence may be unsuitable for some readers.

"Not looking too good for me." She says while holding what's left of her arm. Staring down Xander with a weak smile, Vanessa summons her scythe once more.

Hiro is fighting a losing battle with Zero, while Sera sits and watches.

"She's just... Watching? How can she sit back and watch while the man she loves... it makes SO much sense now." Rose thinks to herself, her rage building, bubbling up inside of her like a volcano about to explode.

"Calm down. I need to deal with Mr. Hiro and Ms. Vanessa first."

"Faust! I'll help Mr. Hiro and you go help Ms. Vanessa!" She says.

"Wait!" She runs off before he can stop her. Begrudgingly, he follows her orders and attacks Xander.

"I'm here for you! Back off and take care of yourself!"

Rose bolts in, blocking a punch from Zero and creating space between the two of them. Their reprieve is short lived, as Zero continues his assault as if nothing happened. She stays on the defensive while Hiro drops to the floor in pain from the dagger that is currently plunged deep into his abdomen. Rose struggles to fight back before getting kicked to the ground.

"I'd appreciate it if you didn't interfere right now." Zero says to Rose before lunging at Hiro.

"ZERO! Now's your chance!" Sera shouts as she dashes towards Xander. Rose turns around and is met with a terrifying sight. Xander's spear is plunged through Vanessa's stomach, pinning her to a wall, while Faust is on the ground incapacitated.

Zero dashes over to them with an urgency in his eyes. Rose, starting to feel the effects of ether exhaustion, stumbles to run after them.

In the midst of this, Xander pulls his spear out of her and winds up another strike. Sera deflects the attack while Zero rushes in behind her, putting a hand on Vanessa's chest. He starts to pull something translucent out of her. She groans in pain as this 'thing' is extracted from her. Rose reaches forward, desperately trying to stop him, but before she can grab them, Xander shoots a point blank fireball in the now congested corner. Rose gets launched away, tossed across the room.

Smoke clouds the room. A large slice cleaves through it.

"Almost lost my head there for a moment." Zero says while holding a translucent scythe. As the smoke clears, Rose sees something roll across the ground.

"But that's... Ms.Vanessa's ability. What did he do? And what happened to her?"
She thinks before her questions are answered.

Zero stands clutching the Ether Scythe in a cold sweat. Even he is surprised at the outcome of the previous exchange.

Rose notices Hiro's outstretched arm reaching towards the rolling object. His face loses color as tears begin to flow.

"MOTHER!" He shouts before dropping his arm, struggling to stay conscious, before passing out.

The object was Vanessa's head.

In the smoke from the earlier fireball, Xander had decapitated her. Rose felt nauseous. Everything started to feel like one big, bad dream. Her waning ether reserves only added to the problem.

Xander stumbles, before dropping to one knee. He supports himself on his spear and turns towards Rose.

"I... am truly sorry... for this... but as recompense... I will leave for... three months. Please... stop me at... that time..." He says.

Xander's eyes close and his body drops to the ground lifelessly, and then stands up straight. He squats down before leaping into the air, and dashing off to the East.