Chapter (3)

As Meerab agreed to the marriage, she never anticipated it would take place within a week. It seemed as though Shahnavaz was rushing the proceedings, as if Meerab might flee if she and Murtasim didn't marry immediately. Initially, Meerab's parents appeared concerned, but eventually, even they seemed at ease with the idea of a wedding within a week.

Sitting on Murtasim's bed in her bridal attire, now his wife, Meerab felt a pang of regret for agreeing to this marriage. The thought of leaving her parents alone and residing in Murtasim's household hadn't crossed her mind when she gave her consent. Why must a girl leave her parents' home while the guy remains with his family after the wedding?

"Meerab?" Waqas and Anila entered the room, their eyes brimming with tears. Meerab struggled to hold back her own as they hugged her. However, as their embrace tightened, tears streamed down her cheeks.

"Take care of yourself," Waqas's lips pressed against Meerab's forehead. Anila squeezed her hand. Meerab's eyes remained fixed on them, tears blurring her vision.

"I'll ask Maryam to assist you in removing your ornaments," Anila mentioned before they departed, leaving Meerab alone. Unable to control herself, Meerab allowed the tears to flow freely. She had never spent a single night away from her parents in her entire life. Closing her eyes, Meerab let the tears cascade down her face. Meerab heard someone entering and locking the door. Swiftly wiping her tears, she regained her composure.

Murtasim came into view, murmuring a greeting, his expression morphing into one of concern as he observed Meerab's tears betrayed her.

"Meerab, you're crying!" He settled onto the bed beside Meerab, his eyes filled with worry while her's overflowed with tears. When his hand brushed against her cheek, her sobs intensified, her lips mouthing 'baba' under her breath.

"Shh, it's alright." Murtasim enveloped Meerab in his arms, a warmth spreading through her. Never before had Meerab been so close to a man, aside from her father. Her father's embraces always made her feel secure and protected. Murtasim's hold evoked the same feelings, yet it also felt different. Meerab couldn't fathom what had come over her. She returned the embrace, drawing them even closer. Meerab could hear the rhythm of Murtasim's heart.

Could he hear mine too?

"Mama mentioned Maryam would come, but you came instead," Meerab uttered amidst her tears. Murtasim chuckled.

"Is that why you're crying?"

"No." Meerab gently pushed him away and wiped her tears away. She felt embarrassed. "I'm not crying."

"Of course, Meerab. You're not crying." Murtasim brushed away a tear, but Meerab slapped his hand aside, rising from the bed and collecting the weighty lehenga, then making her way to the dressing table.

Struggling to remove the bobby pins that secured her dupatta, Meerab was so engrossed in the task that she failed to notice Murtasim standing behind her.

"May I?" Murtasim inquired.

Part of Meerab wanted to refuse, but her exhaustion led her to consent. Murtasim assisted in removing the dupatta, and then gently released Meerab's hair from behind, allowing it to cascade in front of her. Their eyes met through the mirror. His breath seemed as heavy as her's. His gaze lingered on her face a bit longer than usual. A faint blush tinged Murtasim's cheeks as he offered a smile. Meerab found herself smiling back unconsciously, averting her eyes.

His touch feels like fire against my skin!

Struggling with the necklace, Murtasim's fingers trembled against the back of Meerab's neck. Meerab held her breath as Murtasim's touch grazed her bare skin. After some effort, he finally unlocked the necklace, and it slipped into Meerab's lap.

"I-I'm s-sorry," Murtasim stammered. Meerab shook my head, still not looking up. As Murtasim withdrew, the warmth dissipated, and Meerab exhaled deeply. Clutching her lehenga, Meerab rushed toward the wardrobe, retrieved her nightwear, and stumbled into the bathroom.

What was all that about? Why did I experience something different when he touched me or was close to me?